The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I know there is like a million post on dealing with BBA and I have read a lot of them but I am still dealing with it from time to time. I have raised my CO2 levels, even though I will be raising more, added dry ferts, physically removed as much visible BBA as possible, spot treated with excel (which does work for a some period of time), decreased the photo period, etc.

I am at the point now that I feel I need to raise my lights up, especially with my Java fern receiving much of the BBA and being the closest to the actual fixture. I have a 55 gallon with a 2 bulb 55w per bulb t5HO Odyessa fixture about 2" above my tank. I am planning on raising it up at least to 4 " above the tank.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a desired height that should make a difference or any brackets, home made or not, that I could use to lift up the fixture without drilling holes in a wall lol.

Really would appreciate some help, this BBA battle is really draining my love for my tanks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Lights can be a huge PITA because their is soo much variation on the amount of light they can produce. I would just raise your lighting up 8 inches and give the tank a lot of time to stabilize again. The only way i have ever been able to get rid of algae was to reduce my lighting. I have pressurized co2 and had it as high as possible (fish close to gasping at the surface) on medium lighting (around 70 par according to a par meter I was able to barrow) and still had algae. Once I switched to low lighting everything seemed to click. Again i had to wait about a month before I saw any improvements.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Never give in until BBA overruns the tank. At that point, its still not the end of the world. Spend ~$150 and just redo the entire tank. You already have all the equipment and now you have the experience :). Worst case scenario its not THAT bad.

That being said, read that post above and keep CO2 stable. Stable Co2 should prevent BBA from growing more, it won't kill it. Try to let the tank find equilibrium.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Never give in until BBA overruns the tank. At that point, its still not the end of the world. Spend ~$150 and just redo the entire tank. You already have all the equipment and now you have the experience :). Worst case scenario its not THAT bad.
I think this is a terrible advice... If OP can't figure out the root cause of the problem and continue to restart the tank everytime BBA occurred. They will be fustrated and quit the hobby. That is like telling someone to run into a brick wall when you know there is one there.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think this is a terrible advice... If OP can't figure out the root cause of the problem and continue to restart the tank everytime BBA occurred. They will be fustrated and quit the hobby. That is like telling someone to run into a brick wall when you know there is one there.
Sorry, was just painting a worst case scenario. Though I would argue that if the OP continues to learn how to combat BBA, he will have a better turnabout the 2nd time around. Just like building an aquarium from scratch the first time. You will screw up most likely, but you learn from mistakes and get it done. Then the second time you know what can go wrong and how to do it (or at least you think you do) and its a much more enjoyable experience. Wishful thinking i know.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Understanding the problem is always the better solution but breaking the tank down is not a bad idea either. It took me 2 months to figure out the bba in my high light tank. When I finally got bba to stop growing, I emptied the tank and sprayed excel over everything. Filled the tank. Never saw bba again. I have a plant with a little bba on it moved it into my spec v which is known for super low stock lights. It's been 3 months, that little patch of bba is still on that plant in super low light with no other algae at all in the tank. Bba is tough sometimes u gotta start fresh. Of course rethink your water circulation, co2 distribution, ferts etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response guys. It just seems to come in spurts, some weeks I see hardly any growth and some weeks I see a ton. I have had my Co2 going for about 6 months now and I have it cranked it I thought pretty good, no noticeable affect on the fish which leads me to believe I can go a little higher.

The tank is a standard 55 gallon, eco substrate, heavily planted, pressurized C02, I also ahve two aquaclear 70's, along with another power head for increased water movement. When I first set up this tank I had no algae problems for the first three months, guessing the tank was still settling in but from that point till now I have been in a constant battle.

I feel like if I restarted the tank I would eventually lead myself to the same situation I am in now. I have seen that post before by that other member and I feel somewhat better because I do not have that crazy of a BBA problem, but it is still on everyone of my plants. I feel that I do have some room possibly to increase my CO2 especially since my fish show no signs of distress. I do weekly 50% water changes in accordance to the EI dosing method. The tank is also heavily planted and I am constantly scraping off BBA and performing water changes right after.

Instead of just always battling the problem I really want to solve it so I can grow healthy plants, which I know is the goal for everyone but really the constant work towards it really takes the fun out of the hobby. I am always looking for new ways but I feel I need to find the root of the problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Something that wasn't posted, how long are your lights on? Have you tried a siesta photoperiod? What are your current CO2 levels? This could help figuring out a reasonable solution. You may have to take out just 1 of the bulbs :(

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried reducing the photo period, currently its only at 6 hours. I did turn up the co2 the other day I am curious to see if I need to increase more. Are there any recommendations on the placement of the diffuser in relation to a power head for circulation? I wonder if I am breaking up the C02 too quickly before it has a chance to dissolve in the tank.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had an outbreak of BBA when I first setup my tank it was starting to get out of hand I tried reducing my photo period from 12 hours down to 8 hours then down to 6 hours it helped a little but seemed to just slow it's rate of spreading and my plants didn't seem to care for the 6 hour photo period to much.
I found a thread on here about using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (typical stuff you can get at most supermarkets/drug store chains). Basically used a syringe filled to about 5 - 10 cc's and injected directly above the affected plant (turn off all filters and circulation devices first) and allow to set for 10 - 15 min the BBA showed signs of dying back within 48 hours after 2 - 3 weeks there was no more BBA in my tank (at least not readily visible) I extended my photo period back to 8 hours my plants are doing well and the BBA has yet to return. I also use no CO2 injection and my lighting is in the high light range.
I'd look into it depending on how large an out break you have this may or may not help you. I did spot treatments once a day for about 2 weeks on various spots in the tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts