The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, and thanks. I am not exactly sure where this female came from. I am constantly on the hunt for more though. I had one other that recently disappeared.:icon_frow I consider the female dario dario one of my most prized fish.

·
Registered
569 Posts
That's awesome. I have a group of 18 that I'll be splitting up into smaller breeding groups later today.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just spied a baby dario dario..woohoo! I wonder if there are more? How cool is that?:cool:
Congratulations! What is your tank setup and what kinds of plants do you have in it? Are there any other fish or shrimp in the tank? I have some Dario dario myself and hope to breed them.

·
Registered
573 Posts
These are baby danios, right? I had some breed 2 years in a row. I now have a great-grandchild of my original danios I used to cycle my tanks in 2005. I did not have any plants but my gravel size was larger than normal and so provided lots of cover for them. I only found the first batch when I gravel vac'd the tank and saw them swimming in the bucket.

Oh yes. I prepped them by feeding them live mosquito larva every day. 30-40 days later I have babies.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the congrats. She is still doing great. I am calling her a 'she' in hopes that she is. I have never seen baby dario dario, but to me she does look like a female. The other name for this fish is Scarlet Badis, the proper name is Badis Bengalensis. It was really a surprise to see that one lived.I imagine there were more, but since I did not know, no special foods were being given.
gheitman, I do not presently have them separated for breeding, but that is the best way..to take a pair and put them in their own tank. There are predators in this tank..like the Hara Jerdoni, Kuhli loach, and L038 Peckoltia sp. Any one of those could be egg or fry eaters. There are also CBS,CRS,a couple cherries, and some big amanos. 2 threadfins, some blue neon gobies,and several clown killis. So this little fish should be named Trooper. The plants in the tank are mostly mosses, anubias, crypts, some spiralis, and a couple odds and ends, & lots of rocks. There are also three clay and slate caves of various shapes.

LOL @ Laura:)
That's cool Bruce, Gouramis are awesome.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Nice, I wish I could even FIND scarlet badis locally, let along any females. The only place I've seen them in my area, they had only two males, and wanted $8 each.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Orlando - Can you take pictures of your female/s? i know there's lots of it online but wanted to see the one you have. I have bought 2 groups that "supposedly" consist of 2 female and 10 males (group consist of 1 female 5 males) on Aquafest 09 but they have colored up and have the stripes.

Thank you in advance!

-Brian

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Svenboogie...

The new fish store in Seattle's International District is selling them for $2.00 each, buy 5 get one free!

Got some last Saturday and they're doing GREAT!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Carole - congrats! Could you please take a pic for us? The pics online of female Scarlet Badis are extremely questionable so it'd be nice to have a confirmed one.

Also, if you can remember, I know you said you couldn't remember where the Badis you have come from but do you know if it was an LFS or online (and if online which suppliers do you use? InvertzFactory?)? Thanks!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Congrats! I just got a group of 6 from Invertz Factory last week. I suspect at least one female; the red striping is visible, however the body is not as pink as the others. This one is also more plump. I've had Scarlet Badis before, and was given a pair by a friend; I do not think females are as "dull" as they are said to be.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts