The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this because I heard that it was some good stuff. My fish won't even touch this stuff. They suck it up and spit it right out. The shrimp and the cory cats eat it. I tried soaking it to soften it up which also didn't work.

Anyone else having problems with this food?

·
Registered
403 Posts
No I have no problems with Omega One food, its one of the best stuff out there and have been using it for almost 3 yrs now since I started this wonderful hobby.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have guppies and tetras. They were eating the tetra color food before.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have guppies and tetras. They were eating the tetra color food before.
Well those aren't usually picky fish. I would check the expiration date on the food. Sometimes stores don't remove old inventory even though the food only lasts about 9 months. After that the nutrients, and taste will be diminished enough that they may not eat it.

Sometimes when switching foods people will go 2-4 days without feeding and then introduce the new food.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you dont feed them anything else other then Omega then they will have to eat it without option, Usually changing food after long makes fish to hesitate eating new food, Keep feeding them Omega on their regular routine even if they hesitate after a day or two u might want to skip a meal which will make them hungry, they will accept it eventually.

All the best

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are you sure they're not breaking it up and only eating some? Try crumbling the big flakes and sprinkling it in the tank. Those are some rather small fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
It's perfectly normal for fish to get finicky, not wanting to eat anything they aren't used to. If the fish food is better quality (which it is better than Tetra flakes), it's still worth transitioning the fish over to eating the new food. Just takes some time until they accept it. Just starve them for a couple days or so before feeding it (when they are hungry enough they will eat the new food). Or you can slowly introduce it to them, by adding/mixing it in with their current food during feeding. Or you could add more enticers/attractants to the food, such as Garlic oil (or Seachem Garlic Guard) and the fish would be more willing to eat it up.

There is New Life Spectrum Finicky fish formula, purposely made for picky fish. It also a really high quality food, actually the highest quality I know of. It has New Zealand Green Lipped/Shelled Mussels and Garlic, both of which are a favorite taste/smell (attractant/entice) to fish, and not only that, they have great health enhancing properties. It is a pellet though. And just to mention, pellets and other denser foods leach out less nutrients (so they retain more nutrients for your fish to consume) into the water than flat flakes that have more surface area. Thera A is also a good NLS formula, with more garlic, but no mussels.

But you already have the Omega One flakes and they are a pretty good food so it would be good to make use of it. Just takes some time to transition some fish over to a new food. I do incorporate the same Omega One formula into my own fish's diet every so often to change things up (I use the pellet form though).

psychedelic made a good point, if the flakes are large, the fish will suck them into their mouth and munch on them and sometimes end up spiting some of it back out, but they still may actually be eating some. But I am sure Patriot knows that they are in fact just sucking it in and spitting it out without eating any of it, which is just the fish being picky.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the tips. I will check to see if the food is expired. If not I will skip a few days between feeding.

I'm positive that they aren't eating it. When I drop in the tetra color flakes that's when the feeding frenzy begin.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I never have that problem, as I have at least t 5 types of food I feed as the whim takes me.
I do this as fish are prepared for market, and there is nothing I hate as much as buying fish that are still used to fish farm trout pellets.

I do love tetra products, I use tetra prima, crisps and tetramin. I also feed freeze dried tubiflex and brine shrimp, as well as deshelled artemia/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts