The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my wild-caught Olive Nerites have been laying eggs like crazy. I know my tank is freshwater, so how could this be happening? I heard they only reperduce in brackish or salty water. They were acclimated from a brackish marina near where I live, where they have a steady population about two months ago. I put around seven in there to clean the algae in my planted betta sorority. (The tank is cursed with an obscene amount of algae. At least 4 different kinds, as well.) They've laid a growing amount of eggs and my main question is- where do I go from here?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Female nerites (IMHO) lay little white eggs which take maybe a week or two to break up or be eaten. They don't hatch, and they don't harm anything, but they're unsightly.

If you can get away with just wiping down the front glass once a day and that's fine, do that.

If you can pick out the females, I don't believe males do anything like this.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
If they lay eggs on driftwood they will never go away. You will have to scrape the eggs off. Even eggs on glass will last a very long time unless cleaned off. I used to have nerites myself but got rid of them because I got tired of constaly having to wipe the eggs off of glass, scape, filters, everytrhing.

They did do a good job of cleaning off any green algae though. If you can figure out how to balance your tank you won't have an abundance of algae and won't need the nerites.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Female nerites will lay eggs. My female is selective where she lays eggs. She likes to lay eggs on a Fluval ceramic log and on the tank glass. She doesn't lay eggs on the driftwood in the tank, go figure.

You can either live with the eggs or try to single out the females and remove them, so you just have males.

One interesting note, I have had a female nerite snail in my tank for about 7 months now and she finally stopped laying eggs. I am not sure why.

Regardless, I enjoy having them in my tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So they won't hatch? Great. I can live with the white dots, just not tons of baby snails! Actually, my female bettas seem to love the eggs- they eat (or just bite, I'm not sure) them off of the plants, and have started blowing bigger bubble nests than before! (Or, at least, more bubbles) I just didn't want to have to deal with rehoming a bunch of tiny nerites. The tank they're in right now was never really a pretty one to begin with, so I'm sure I can live with the eggs. Thanks for the help- I really appreciate it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.