The Planted Tank Forum banner

oldpunk’s 75 gallon glass box of awesomeness

930 17
This tank has been a plantless home for a handful of South American inhabitants. It’s plantless because George and Ethel eat pretty much anything with leaves.

I’m not really sure what direction to take tris in. I’ve pretty much done it all at one point or another. I’ve got all the ferts, lights, and CO2 you can shake a stick at. I tend to like lower maintenance but if I’m into the idea of the scape, I’m not above daily dosing and weekly trimming/water changes.
I’ve actually never tried doing to ocean aquarium philosophy and I kinda want to give that shot.

Anyway, I kinda want to keep the current manzanita stump in there. I’ve grown fond of it and actually haven’t tried plants with yet.

What would you do with tank? Ideas are very welcome.

TIA ~ Josh

Attachments

Reactions: Ben Belton
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Well if you want to keep the big cichlids then you can try doing emersed growth with only the roots in the water and the rest of the plant out of water. You could plant quite a lot onto that stump that way. You may need to use planter boxes, or wabi-kusa style hangers, or maybe you can just glue a bunch of pond plants to the top of that stump.

If you want to move the cichlids to another tank then the skys the limit.

But a fish that big that likes to eat plants will eat most anything else. You can try hornwort I suppose, but its not a super attractive plant in my opinion and its initial freak-out period where it drops all its needles doesn't help in this department.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I really dig that piece of wood.

I really hate to say it, but have you considered artificial plants? With all the niche stuff you can buy online, there has to be artificial plants that look like the real deal on the web somewhere. Then you could be..... sub-tech?

·
Algae Grower
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@somewhatshocked - my bad.
Honestly, it’s been a while. Totally forgot about some of the rules we must abide by. I will revisit the forum rules agreement to ensure I post compliantly in the future.
Fwiw - I have not received any notifications of any type and was puzzled as to why the old avatar disappeared. I thought it was an inactive thing or something.
Perhaps I’m not completely fluent with this forum software and just don’t know how to receive or know where to view a notification. I wonder how much I might not know? Do you know if there is a tutorial available so that I might be able to better utilize the features available to us?
It was great to speaking with you again!

·
Algae Grower
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well there ya go! As @minorhero said, "The sky is the limit."
Where did you find that stump?
I have a local lake with manzanita trees surrounding it. Some are falling victim to the erosion around the edges. I drug it (the whole tree- I forgot a saw…) into the back of the truck and hacked off the top at home when I figured out how tall I wanted it. I think the rest of it go burned in a campfire.
I forgot this was in my trunk from the last time we went swimming. My kid wanted it for his tank. 🤣

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,859 Posts
Don't worry about it.

Do you know if there is a tutorial available so that I might be able to better utilize the features available to us?
It took us moderators months to get used to it. Maybe longer. Some of us (me) still look for things in the wrong place.

There's an FAQ section that is kinda useful (some stuff isn't spot-on but it's good enough) - to find it if you ever need to figure something out, click on the 3 little dots at the top right of the forum and it should be linked there. Some of them have screenshots to help but they may not look 100% like TPT - still the same software, though.

·
Algae Grower
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't worry about it.

It took us moderators months to get used to it. Maybe longer. Some of us (me) still look for things in the wrong place.

There's an FAQ section that is kinda useful (some stuff isn't spot-on but it's good enough) - to find it if you ever need to figure something out, click on the 3 little dots at the top right of the forum and it should be linked there. Some of them have screenshots to help but they may not look 100% like TPT - still the same software, though.
I still can’t find and warnings or notifications about about anything.

·
Registered
6g office nano, 20g cube, 29g cherry shrimp, 2 x 40g breeder community and 75g in the works
784 Posts
That wood is just fantastic! I'm so jealous. I have rock for my new 75, but no wood yet.

·
Algae Grower
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That wood is just fantastic! I'm so jealous. I have rock for my new 75, but no wood yet.
Thanks! I I’m torn as to if I want to keep in in there.
The top of it actually is a Y. It would be cool to have some ferns or anubias up there but it’s gonna be mega close to the light. It would take some time but it would be super cool to have some immersed stuff growing out of there.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
You need a background...:)
If you can't get one on the outside there are inside tank ones.
Note I did take some creative license on the brightness of the background.
If you pick the correct stone (if you go that route) you might find some in your area to match.

Terrestrial plant Plant Flower Wood Trunk

For fun:
Bedrock Wood Trunk Formation Soil

How to build one..Not sure you could build and add to a tank that is "live" though. pH and concrete..

·
Algae Grower
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You need a background...:)
If you can't get one on the outside there are inside tank ones.
Note I did take some creative license on the brightness of the background.
If you pick the correct stone (if you go that route) you might find some in your area to match.

View attachment 1047611
For fun:
View attachment 1047612

How to build one..Not sure you could build and add to a tank that is "live" though. pH and concrete..
I just did the black background in there. 🤣

Honestly, I’ve never really cared for the backgrounds, 2d or 3d. I wanted to see if I could create depth with the scape. The 75 seems like great footprint for that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts