The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have an older Oceanic 180rr about 10 years old. Just wondering what the life of these tanks are? Seals? Used this tank for 7 years salt water and a couple of years fresh.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really has never be dry more than a few days. I don't see anything obvious going on but just trying to get a gauge from everyone on how long these last. I would guess the silicone would be the first to go. Never thought about the Plastic rim. The center support across the top is 1/2" glass and is silicone on both ends. So far everything looks ok.
Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've read that it isn't being used that "wears out" the tank. What damages them is leaving a tank standing empty and dry for long periods of time; the silicone seals age. This is probably more the case if the tank is left in a garage or other space that goes through extremes of temperature. Stores certainly have tanks standing empty; it doesn't seem to be a problem if only talking months.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. Just thought that maybe with salt water the seals would age quicker? Everything looks ok to me and will soon be a planted tank with fish. Right now it's a cichlid with rock and sand setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.