The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just reading a very old article for breeding ottos posted by rain- and it said that they...

Lesson seven: Fry are sensitive to chemicals, use as few as possible -cure for Hydra in aquaria using a battery with a each end of the tank did not affect Corydoras, killed 50 young Parotocinclus.

Ever here of electricuting hydra out of your tank? I've heard of making the tank conduct electricity to keep others out but never done much research on it... This is really interesting though!

Any Ideas?

-Andrew

·
Registered
200 Posts
I heard that if you do it in a shrimp tank you risk losing your shrimp due to the copper in the wires. Copper wires are use for conductivity, etc. I may not be correct tho about the death, it has been a long time since i have read about this method, let alon in an invert tank.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'd try it out on a small container of tank water with a single shrimp first...

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohh yeah, I'd just never heard of it. I was talking about it in general first, I stopped overfeeding and my Hydra disappeared! But this method sure is interesting!

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Ever here of electricuting hydra out of your tank? I've heard of making the tank conduct electricity to keep others out but never done much research on it... This is really interesting though!
You are adding copper ions to the tank with that trick, not electrocuting. In fry tanks (Angels, no shrimp) I use fluke tabs.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
you could cook them. I know a guy that took his tank to 110deg F and that took care of them.
Of course he removed all live stock prior) Seems like alot of work to me.
I keep my hydras I think they are real cool looking and they help kill the other little swimming thingies in the water. I lost my patch of them in my main tank when we lost power for a few days and the water temp dipped to the mid 50's.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are adding copper ions to the tank with that trick, not electrocuting. In fry tanks (Angels, no shrimp) I use fluke tabs.
Ohh now I understand...

So this would be a great way to kill off inverts then?

-Andrew

·
Registered
780 Posts
You can simply drop a few pennies into the tank to kill off inverts. Copper content will slowly rise, and poison them. There are also commercial products like Had-a-Snail (copper sulfate solution) that will do the same thing, only faster. I had a bad infestation of hydra in my cherry shrimp tank months ago. I removed the shrimp and most of the snails, then double-dosed the tank with Had-a-Snail. The next day I rinsed the tank several times with fresh water and restocked. No more hydra, and no losses of shrimp either. :proud:

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can simply drop a few pennies into the tank to kill off inverts. Copper content will slowly rise, and poison them. There are also commercial products like Had-a-Snail (copper sulfate solution) that will do the same thing, only faster. I had a bad infestation of hydra in my cherry shrimp tank months ago. I removed the shrimp and most of the snails, then double-dosed the tank with Had-a-Snail. The next day I rinsed the tank several times with fresh water and restocked. No more hydra, and no losses of shrimp either. :proud:
Gotcha, Ohh and BTW Pennies are an alloy now. It was too expensive to keep them as copper since it was worth more money for the pound than as pennies, so now our copper is used for other things:proud: . See the sides of a new(ish) penny and it's two colors!

-Andrew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts