The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance at a 125 gallon tank used. It’s at least 7 years old and currently in use. Could I put new glue/sealer over the joints and trust it ??? Is that hard to do?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure about that, but I have been intermittently using the same 40g breeder for freshwater and saltwater since 2010 with no issues to date (currently in use). About 20 years ago I got a free big hexagonal tank from my dad's friend that was about 20 years old at the time and it held water like a champ for years before I had to give it away during a move.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that a well-sealed tank can last a really long time.

Is anything particular giving you a reason to not trust the silicone on the 125g?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
If it is currently in use, isn't leaking and is a great price, I would consider buying it. I would still leak test it outdoors when I brought it home just in case it suffered some damage in transit or was mishandled when it was moved.

You would need to remove the existing silicone on the inside of the tank (not between the glass panes) before you install new silicone. I never recommend adding new silicone to the existing silicone fillets inside the tank as they tend to not bond well and really wouldn't fix any leaks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.