The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone !

So I have been running a 33g tank with a Coralife T5 fixture for the past ....10 years ?. Now both my T5 tubes just died on me. I went to my LFS and they don't hold them anymore because its a discontinued product!

This is a tank that runs on PPS-Pro ferts and no CO2. Plants are : crypts wendtii, hygro polysperma, one java fern and one amazon sword plant (allrady kinda struggling ). I do expect to have a crypt melt since these crypts melt at nothing anyways.

More info on the tank in the link in my signature

Right now I had some Colormax Coralife tubes laying around that I put on. They give a nice warm pink color that probably does nothing for the plants. I also added a small LED reading lamp and another reading lamp with a Daylight fluocompact bulb in it. It looks like this :

I'm hoping that this installation might help the plant survive for a couple of days ? What do you guys think ? It's been 3 days now and not much to write home about, not even any crypt melt !

After a bit of research and shopping around, I ordered a Current Sattelite + Pro, should be arriving next week. I thought that since its dimmable, I could probably set it up to mimic the kind of lighting I had before. It will also offer plenty of potential for changes in the future ! What do you guys think?

Thanks a bunch in advance !

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use a T5 fixture from coralife on my 20L. The colormax is actually quite beneficial to your plants, as it provides a full spectrum of light for your plants to utilize. I use a colormax/6700K combination with my fixture, and it works pretty well for a low-tech tank.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Just keep your water parameters the same and your plants should not see any real adverse effects of a couple days of different light.

I have $100 of plants that have been sitting in a zip lock bag on the counter for a week,,gotta plant them today.

You will like the new LED light! The first time you don't have to sell out the bucks for new tubes you'll ask why you didn't do it sooner!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone !

So the new LED ramp arrived and is now installed !

No pictures because the new light makes the dirty tank appear extra extra dirty.

Its making a kinda loudish clicking noise now and then. Anyone have this happen ? Is something about to blow up ?

Pictures after cleaning...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.