Hello!

I have a heave planted aquarium.

42G
Nitrate 25ppm
Phosphate 2ppm
Potassium 20ppm
CO2 25ppm
I add 3 time a week Iron.

And I'm having problem with old leaves getting brown and dying ((1 week old). There are some photos!

Can you help me?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
L. Sessiliflora? How old is the tank, and hard is your water? Looks like diatoms in the first two and maybe a stand of hair algae in the third one?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
L. Sessiliflora? How old is the tank, and hard is your water? Looks like diatoms in the first two and maybe a stand of hair algae in the third one?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The tank haves 2 months. Yea is a Sessiflora.

Can you help me please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Maybe just not enough light/flow at the bottom so the old leaves are dying.
Alternatively if this was only happening to parts of the plant which were grown outside your tank, it may be they are shedding as the plant adapts to your tank.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe just not enough light/flow at the bottom so the old leaves are dying.
Alternatively if this was only happening to parts of the plant which were grown outside your tank, it may be they are shedding as the plant adapts to your tank.

Thanks for help!!!

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I solved the same exact issue by increasing Co2. Be sure to have at least 1 pH drop by the time your lights turn on. 1.2 even better. But if you don't, increase Co2 slowly and watch the fish, be careful not to gas your critters.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I solved the same exact issue by increasing Co2. Be sure to have at least 1 pH drop by the time your lights turn on. 1.2 even better. But if you don't, increase Co2 slowly and watch the fish, be careful not to gas your critters.
L. Sessiliflora doesn't really care about CO2 - grew like a weed for me with less than 4 ppm CO2. I've found flow and nitrates to be the big two keys to keeping it healthy.

Also, as far as I understand it, pH drop due to CO2 injection is both pH and KH dependent. For example, say I have a pH of 7.4 and a dKH of 7. Injecting enough to drop one full point in pH would take you to over 80 ppm of CO2... 1.2 drop is over 130 ppm!

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
L. Sessiliflora doesn't really care about CO2 - grew like a weed for me with less than 4 ppm CO2. I've found flow and nitrates to be the big two keys to keeping it healthy.

Also, as far as I understand it, pH drop due to CO2 injection is both pH and KH dependent. For example, say I have a pH of 7.4 and a dKH of 7. Injecting enough to drop one full point in pH would take you to over 80 ppm of CO2... 1.2 drop is over 130 ppm!

Naaaa... Forget about the KH/pH table, stick with 1 pH drop. Sessiliflora like any other plant can get stuck because of competition, no matter if Co2 or other nutrients (your mentioned No3 or other).

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Naaaa... Forget about the KH/pH table, stick with 1 pH drop. Sessiliflora like any other plant can get stuck because of competition, no matter if Co2 or other nutrients (your mentioned No3 or other).
Anywhere I can read up more on that? I've read through some of Millero's disassociation constants for carbonic acid since that seems to be the source for most of the calculators it there, but I keep hearing 1 pH drop is more accurate (not just from you). I'd really like to know why the tables don't work since they have seemed pretty spot on when I measure my pH for testing.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Well, there are many other factors that play in the actual Co2 concentration. For example: dissolved oxygen, altitude, temperature, GH, tannin, organic matter, conductivity, etc. in my experience, the KH/pH table never worked for me. My water has KH 3 and pH 7.1. According to the table, I'd need to lower my pH to just 6.48 to have 30 ppm Co2. That may be right from the ppm stand point using still water in a bottle, but if I do so, my plants don't grow well. I need to go down to pH 5.8 to see my plants growing well. I have a wet/dry filter, so O2 is high, but degassing is also high and then I need more Co2. In general, if you have a canister filter you need less pH drop, if you have a wet/dry you need more. Surface agitation, open or closed tank also play a big role in degassing and Co2 concentration.

The safe assumption is 1 pH drop, no matter your KH. Of course you can get away with less, any tank is different(Also: If you have low light, you may need less Co2), but 1 pH drop will give you a safe starting point. Hope this help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.