The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here.,Please help! My old 55 tank needs a cover because the cat likes to try fishing and my light is not going to grow the plants.I have only a F40T 10/48 now. I would like a medium light tank. The plants I have now are some swords,not sure of others. Dead leaves mostly! Flourite alone is the substrate,Old hob filter Eheim ECCO 2236,UV sterilizer for disease/algae control and CO2 tabs. The water is rather hard also. The fish are 2 angels,2 snakeskin gouramis,few livebearers, 2 very small plecos. Looking to use a glass top,but there is no center bar.don't want to DIY a canopie w/ a light because I do'nt want to much weight on the tank.....Its very old but works great
I would like suggestions on lighting and a top of some sort to keep cats out of the water.:help:

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Well, start off by removing all the dead leaves, and then you can start from scratch again... for lighting you could use one of these fixtures, but you would need the glass top. I'm not sure why you couldn't have a glass top just because there's no center brace?

That would be as light as it can get, if you are concerned about weight. I mean, if you want to keep the cats out of the water, you have to use a canopy or a glass top, right? You could buy a ready-made canopy that someone else DIY'd for you, I suppose. I think ahsupply.com does that, actually.

Best of luck, and welcome to TPT. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I was also looking at DR's F&S catalog,they have coralife F/W Aqualight single ,130 watts,[ comp.fluorescent]. Also ,on sale, the Nova ExtremeSLR-5 ,1-54W 10000K & 1 -54W Freshwater= 108watts.Do not want the dead plants any more! I hope to make this tank look somewhat as good as you folks have! Do I have to worry about weight on this tank? It's + or- 30 years old. Would glass type covers work? I have read that to have a good planted tank to use 2-3 watts. thank you for putting up with all my dumb questions- more sure to follow-dead leaves out of tank as they start to die

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
The problem is those CO2 tabs aren't really worth a squat, truth be told. So I don't recommend you getting up into the 2-3 wpg range just yet until you start injecting CO2. Until that time, you should stay in the 1-2 wpg range.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
A word of caution- 55gal tanks that don't have a center brace often were designed as "reptile tanks" and aren't structurally sound to contain water...

Is this tank bowing in the least? How long have you had it filled with water?

You may have a larger issue on your hands than just the challenge to find a glass top.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My old tank is not bowing at all,I have always keep it filled to prevent it from drying out. Only when I moved to new house did I remove all the water but a couple of inches. It was the first thing set up,before the furniture! It was also sold as a fish tank from a local fish store,they just did not have braces on tanks back then. Any suggestions for a newbe with CO2 systems that dont break the bank? Not the DIY kind in this area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts