The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have some bottles of Flourish fertilizers (Nitrate, Phosphate, and Potassium to be exact), and they're coming up to the 2.5 year mark. I've kept them in the fridge for this entire time, but haven't used them for quite a while. Are they still OK to use?

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I'd email Seachem directly to be sure, but I can't imagine why not. most expiration dates on this stuff are bogus anyway. I don't see any point in wasting refrigerator space on this stuff. Heck, I'm using 10 year old flake food and my fish are just fine.

·
Registered
362 Posts
most expiration dates on this stuff are bogus anyway
most aren't bogus, they're just an estimate and or only tested that long, so they put them on there to safe guard any mishaps such as spoiled food, etc.

Prescription and OTC drugs are tested for effectiveness, and if you see medicine with a exp. date, it means the company can only guarentee the mdecine will be at its original strength until that date. After that, the drug is untested and will eventually lose its potency due to aging(moisture, sunglight, etc). The exp date on drugs does not mean the drug will go rotten or kill you after said date. Liquid suspentions that are made for you when you arrive to pick them up, once reconsituted, have a short shelf life.

Ferts may lose their effectiveness, i dunno. I'd imagine if there is no mold in and or on them,t hat they'd still be good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts