The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old Eheim 2026 canister filter is still operating. I bought it in late 2020. Its flow rate seems to be down now. I am wondering if it's time to replace the filter. Before replacing the canister filter, I'd like to try a few things to improve its flow to see if I can get a few more years out of it.

It's been a while (like 5 years or more) since I replaced its filter media. The Substrat pieces look smaller and I probably have too many of them stuffed in the filter basket.

Do you still recommend using filter media like Substrat? If so, how much should I get?

I suppose it's high time that I clean up the hoses really well, too.

Can you think of other things that I should try to improve the flow rate?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
What other media do you have in the filter?
I do find the Substrat Pro gets a bit smaller over the years but I do have some new to replace it. You could also use Seachem Pond Matrix or other brands if you need to buy new.

Be sure to clean the impeller cavity as well as the impeller to remove built up crud. Cleaning the hoses would also help. Either a long bottle brush or use a length of wire with a wad of cloth attached to scrub the interior hose walls.

Double check that the rubber connectors between the media trays are in place AND most important that the plastic connector between the top media tray and the filter head is in position, if it gets dislodged you will see reduced flow.

Do you have any other equipment inline?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry for the typo. I meant to say late 2000.

I have Mech filter media as well. A number of years ago Eheim support told me that it did not need to be replaced at all.

The pipes are lined up and the rubber gaskets are in good shape. I always make sure that the short pipe to connect the filter head and the baskets is connected well.
I also clean the impeller and its well every time I clean the filter media.
I have a long hose brush with a wire that is used for cleaning a filter hose. It's been awhile since I cleaned the hose.

I believe that I should replace Substrat. I don't remember how much to put into the basket. Is it 1.5 liter? Does anyone know?

The filter is 20 years old now. It served me well. I like well-designed equipment that is easy to service, and Eheim filters and pumps are definitely one of them. I'd like to get a few more years out of it if I can.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The book says 1L of Mech and 2L of Substrat Pro.

Sorry for the delay, I lost internet service at 4:30PM and just got it back.

·
Registered
484 Posts
My Eheim Pro 3 is over 20 years old and working perfectly. I have no plans to replace it with a newer filter. I actually REALLY prefer the older Pro 3 line to the newer Pro 4 line with all the extra electronics and junk to break down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.