The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there,
its been ages since i posted, but i have a question. a friend of mine wants to create an aquarium in an old monitor. i'm sure the same sorts of issues arise from old tvs...etc.
does anyone have any tips?
thanks
kris

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
You could find a tank and put it in the monitor.
Or just build it and post pics after!

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Instead of building the tank into a CRT case,
maybe you can take a cube shaped nano tank
5-10gal and find a CRT case to fit it in.
Office equipment recyclers should have lots
of CRT cases stacked to the rafter by now.
the hardest part will be finding one with a
near flat top that allows room too keep the
top lip of the tank inside the CRT chassis.
CRT apertures are measured diagonally.
water weight will exceed what CRT bases
were designed to handle, by about 50%
so once the tank is filled, I would not
tilt or swivel it, or you'll crack the base.

I found a forum photo thread of this project;

he seems to have abandoned the tank idea.
those square Hitachi cases have that upper
lip that ruins the tank symmetry too much.
older CTX cases probably have the shape
you'd want to go with, as they are boxy
but with a rounded non tapered top.

·
Registered
888 Posts
This I've got to see.;) Have fun together with your friend with the project.:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
be carful!

I don't have any tips for the actual construction other than BE CAREFUL!!! :eek:

CRT monitors (especially large old ones) have capacitors in them that can stay charged for a LONG time after its been unplugged. Just like TV sets.

It seems like a fun idea, but if you have any doubts about your electrical knowledge or the workings of a CRT monitor don't mess around! Totally not worth it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't have any tips for the actual construction other than BE CAREFUL!!! :eek:

CRT monitors (especially large old ones) have capacitors in them that can stay charged for a LONG time after its been unplugged. Just like TV sets.

It seems like a fun idea, but if you have any doubts about your electrical knowledge or the workings of a CRT monitor don't mess around! Totally not worth it.
Indeed! If you continue on with it and aren't comfortable discharging it yourself, you can take it to a TV repair shop (if they still have them anymore?) and have them discharge it for you.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
10,000 volt goodness is what kinda charges those puppies hold. and can hold that for hours after being unplugged. So make sure theres no power going to it for at least a couple days before you attempt disasembly.

But I would say go for at least a VERY old 20-21"er. Disasemble it carefully. Do not try to shatter the tube itself as it will implode and send glass shrapnel in all directions. you would probably wanna shoot for a 2.5 or a 5gal cube in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts