The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was given a 47gal bow front some time back. I had always loved the look of live plants in aquariums. So, I decided to start my very first aquarium as a planted tank. I did quite a bit of reading before I started but probably should have reread some things before diving in. The results were lots of ups and downs. But at some point I had a tank I enjoyed quite a bit. Life got crazy and due to not keeping control of it I ended up letting BBA take it over. I tried having it covered with a blanket for over a month after cleaning out as much of the BBA as I could.
Needless to say, I finally threw in the life preserver and drained it, took out all the plants and gave them a 15 minute soak in bleach water (1:20 ratio). It’s yet to be determined if the plants are going to survive. They are floating in another tank currently and have lost most of their leaves. This is causing me to have to do frequent water exchanges on that tank.
This is what the tank looked like at one time. I called it “Forgotten Drive”.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On to my second round. I have plants from the previous tank I may use and some new ones coming. I didn’t think I had enough ADA Aqua Soil to use only it for my substrate so I got a bag of Eco-complete for planted aquariums and used it under the ADA Aqua Soil in the back on the two corners where the substrate is built up.
Here is what I have for hardscaping so far. It may all change when I start adding plants, who knows.

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
318 Posts
Like the name"Forgotten drive". Nice tank I like the pathway. I would plant some type of bushy plant and the end of the plant to make it look like the path goes on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can’t believe I placed an order for plants on Feb. 2nd and still do not have them. Paid extra for expedited shipping and still no sign of them. Been sitting in Olive Branch, MS since the 11th as far as I can tell and it’s like 11degrees F there. I have the weekend off and nothing to do but look at this tank that needs planted. 🥺
On a somewhat funny note. I didn’t put the top on the tank and one of my cats thought it looked like a good place to dig and play in. So, I got to fix that. I should have known better because it had done this to me once before when I was setting up a cichlid tank. It peed in that tank. The ammonia was so high I had to do 100% water exchanges like six times. I will probably have to do the same with this tank.
Nothing like a cat that wants to help you cycle a tank. 😂🤣😂🤣

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Can’t believe I placed an order for plants on Feb. 2nd and still do not have them. Paid extra for expedited shipping and still no sign of them. Been sitting in Olive Branch, MS since the 11th as far as I can tell and it’s like 11degrees F there. I have the weekend off and nothing to do but look at this tank that needs planted. 🥺
On a somewhat funny note. I didn’t put the top on the tank and one of my cats thought it looked like a good place to dig and play in. So, I got to fix that. I should have known better because it had done this to me once before when I was setting up a cichlid tank. It peed in that tank. The ammonia was so high I had to do 100% water exchanges like six times. I will probably have to do the same with this tank.
Nothing like a cat that wants to help you cycle a tank. 😂🤣😂🤣
Not sure if this relates to you but the southern US is in a surprising cold snap and there are dealers that won't ship if they don't think their plants will survive...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still haven’t received my plants, so not much can be done. Called Aquarium Plants and they were supper nice and said If I haven’t received them by Sunday afternoon to give them a call back and they will reship the order. That was great to hear. Thought I would try this with those of you that know your plants by name. Can you take a look at this picture and tell me what you think about my ideas for where I was thinking of putting plants I have coming or have in my possession already?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.