The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I really like natural plantings and I pretty much have that in my tank. It's just that... when I am surfing on the pet sites or when I'm at Petsmart... and I see a new aerating ornament in the shape of an alligator, dinosaur or whatever, I really go crazy and wonder if I can put that in my tank! (real confession, I sometimes bring them home and either get second thoughts and return them, or have them stashed away since I haven't gotten the courage to put them in the tank!).

Anybody else? Has anybody incorporated these in their plantings (oooohhhh, I see some I really like on bigals, but I'm afraid it'll be the same as putting a plastic pink flamingo out in the garden! LOL!)

Tina

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
"Kitsch" will always have its place :D.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I had this in my tank for a while to keep my filter feeding shrimp happy.
I ripped it out of the base of some desktop relaxation water fountain :hihi:
I might use it again once I get a bigger tank. for now I don't want to
sacrifice good planting real estate to any ornamentation.

Kitsch'wise, I think these through the glass magnet ornaments are cool;

they come as sharks and dolphins. just froogle for "breakout ornament"

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have a little ceramic dragon in one of my tanks, and I love it!!!!

Ever since I first saw a scape by O. Knotts I've dreamed of a medieval
250 gallon aquarium with little Castles, a few trees, and fields of hair grass. A happy tree here. A rock popping up out the grass maybe leading into a mountain trail.
dreams.:eek:

King Kevin from Aqua kingdom.:hihi:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL, I saw those tank buster ornaments on bigals too, they have a family of dolphins where half stick out of the tank and half are in the tank. I'm just worried about my kids bumping them.

Tina

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Some ornaments are very pretty

Tie a bunch of java fern all over it and it'll hide the "tackiness." :p
Hypan, great minds think alike. I was considering that piece last Month to enable my crabs to get to the water surface. It seems like a clever choice especially for a large hex tank. tell me; is that item hollow all the way up the inside so a crab crawling inside a lower hole can crawl up from the inside and make it all the way to that top hole? I didn't like how much plantable space that item steals, so I also considered planting Anubius or Moss on it's mushrooms. One other question; does the resin stay dark colored or does it develop a bleached out look after a while?

Another piece I liked from petsmart were these;

as they seemed more natural looking and their smaller footprint would interfere less with light trying to get to other plants.

In the end, I devised my own crab climbable ornament by simply braiding three nylon ropes together and embedding them with Moss, thus stealing the least amount of light from my other plants while still providing an esthetically pleasing solution. I can alway remove the rock and increase planting space, I just have it there for now until the Moss fills in more densely.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Whew well then I feel quite a bit better about some ornaments I have my eye on at the lfs. The ones that look like broken-down hotels and general stores or whatever.
Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants to see your fishies coming out of church or the general store. Aww.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
if you want to try town ornaments get them off ebaY as many pet stores stuck with it will dump them really cheap there. I got 6 Venis houses for $10 including shipping on ebaY. my crayfish loved crawling up inside them in my 10g, but after a while I missed the natural look, and retired these for now. I think if I had a lot of kids over I would have kept the town, but for my own enjoyment the natural look usually wins out longer term. keep in mind most town ornaments are not plastic resin, but plaster with a painted on waterproof seal that can easily chip and crack from normal handling.

James, one of the special charms of a natural planted tank is how it keeps growing and changing. ornaments can't do that ;)
and once you add plants, it's hard to fully enjoy them without a more natural hardscape of various wood, rock and gravel.
I suppose if like in Bonsai you choose plants that looked like trees, grass and shrubs when contrasted to your town ornaments
that could be interesting, but even then you ultimately find yourself enjoying the live plants, and the ornaments just distract
because you are underwater. I suppose if I were doing a terrarium then ornaments could be more naturally appealing to me.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Why are aquarium ornaments so darn expensive??
I think a lot of them are cool and when used tastefully are great. But the prices they charge for these things is a big part in what keeps me away form them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Those breakout ornaments are cool. Makes me think a nice, huge real wood piece that's cut so it can come through the tank would be cool.

Some kind of natural wood tripod that appears to be holding a slice of aquatic life in mid air. I'll have to put that plan on the list.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
tell me; is that item hollow all the way up the inside so a crab crawling inside a lower hole can crawl up from the inside and make it all the way to that top hole? I didn't like how much plantable space that item steals, so I also considered planting Anubius or Moss on it's mushrooms. One other question; does the resin stay dark colored or does it develop a bleached out look after a while?
- It's hollow all the way, so yes a crab crawling in through a bottom hole could make it out the top hole.

- Yes it takes up space, but as you mentioned, it's space you could use for moss or java fern.

- Finally, the resin does bleach out after a while. But again, if you put plants on it (java fern, moss, etc.), it doesn't really matter.

Be wary of "medium" sized fish... I had a young black moor get himself stuck inside it once, and I ended up damaging his dorsal fin getting him out. It did heal up, but that wasn't fun, for him or me.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
- It's hollow all the way...
Hypan, thanks for answering all my questions so thoroughly :proud:

it's a shame resin gets the bleach out look.
i wish there were some way to prevent it.
painted ceramics like the houses in my old
post do not get bleached out, but do chip.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I actually have 2 of those roots in my 2 fish only tanks. My convict loves the small $10 one (it's actually the one in the top right corner of the picture) and my Redtail Shark loves the medium sized one (the bottom right one in the picture, I forget the price). The only Thing I've noticed is that after 8-9 years of being in the tank the small root bleached from me cleaning it. I also have a old castle decoration from back when I started keeping fish, actually I think it's my brother's hmmm...

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
this thread is adorable
I like that way of putting it. That's cute. Yup. It does seem to be a guilty pleasure we're owning up to here. Personally I find myself attracted to the Grecian ruins type of ornaments. Are y'all going to take away my Planted Tank card :icon_mrgr ?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts