The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to dose dry dose plantex CSM +B on my 55G? Why do people put it in solution anyways?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I just dump 1/32 of a teaspoon (smidgeon) daily into my 46 gallon tank. The only day I don't add it is on water change day because that is when I add phosphate.

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
I add mine dry directly to the tank. I sprinkle mine just above where the spray bar is to allow it to spread over the tank.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I also dose dry, but I dont dump the dry powder into the tank as I found the fish eating it. So I use a plastic cup, add about an inch of aquarium water, add the ferts (smidgen), swirl for 30 secs, then dump the water back into the tank.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I liquid dose and I've never kept my solution in the fridge. I use a few ml's of HCL and nothing has gone bad on me so far. I also tweak my CSM+B a little here and there; I'm hoping to roll my own micros/trace soon.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I have experience dosing both ways. If made into solution, care should be taken or mold/fungus (not sure what it is) that grows. I had better success when using a darker bottle (H202 bottle is great for this and real cheap at drug store). Keeping it in the refridgerator does slow the process, but it usually comes around anyway.

I have heard of people using anti-fungal medication in very low doses with some success.

I found the best results by dosing similar to Stagger, but I use a small tuberware with a lid. Add aquarium water and ferts, then shack the wonkers out of it to really get it saturated into solution.

Good luck with whatever way you choose to do it!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
You will notice that dry CSM+B settles out in its container. It is a good idea to mix it up some before dry dosing or making a solution.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I find that when making liquid solutions of CSM its been a good idea to start with sterile equipment. Mainly the water, then the bottle.

I will bring water to a boiling temperature then let it cool to a warm touch. Add CSM to the warm water and stir. You can sterilize bottles by boiling in water. This method has always worked very well for me at keeping nasties out 100%

That being said, dosing dry is perfectly fine.

Regards,
Orlando

·
Registered
518 Posts
Csm

Is it ok to dose dry dose plantex CSM +B on my 55G? Why do people put it in solution anyways?

I dose fertilizers 4 x a week my 180 overgrown with plants. Mon. + Thursday is CSM+B ( 1/2 flat teaspoon).

Tuesday + Fri. is KNO3 ( 1 teaspoon)+ K2SO4 (1/2 teaspoon)+ KH2PO4 ( 1/2 teaspoon)- all together.

I simply add fertilizers and some hot water to a plastic 1/2gal. container, then some cold water and slowly imerse the container in my tank to fill it up with water and slowly pour the solution into the tank. Usually my air pump works in the morning until I switch the light on, so mixing with the remaining water in the tank is rather a rapid one.

The rutine is simple, fast and safe. Why bother making solutions, etc. when this is the 'freshest' way of supplying what my plants need.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have experience dosing both ways. If made into solution, care should be taken or mold/fungus (not sure what it is) that grows. I had better success when using a darker bottle (H202 bottle is great for this and real cheap at drug store). Keeping it in the refridgerator does slow the process, but it usually comes around anyway.

I have heard of people using anti-fungal medication in very low doses with some success.

I found the best results by dosing similar to Stagger, but I use a small tuberware with a lid. Add aquarium water and ferts, then shack the wonkers out of it to really get it saturated into solution.

Good luck with whatever way you choose to do it!
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but is it possible to use vinegar in place of HCL when using CSMB premixed in water?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts