The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've tried to do plants in the past and I usally end up with a big mess and a bunch of dead plants. I've been keeping fish for many years and have had good success with that. I've just recently started trying to add some plants again, but I thought I would get some advise from the experts before I get too deep into it again.

My current set up is a 210 gallon oceanic with 2 canister filters. My substrate was pool filter sand, but I recently added 2 bags of Floramax to that, for the plants. I've got a mixed community tank (love the clown loaches and the roselines!) I've got 3 250w MH and 8 t5s, so I think I have plenty of light. I've been filling my freshwater tanks with my well water with no ill effects to the fish, but it's pretty hard water and I'm wondering if that has been some of my problem in the past? I have a RO/DI unit, but it will take a while to produce 210 gallons! :) C02 could be an option, but I'm a little hesitant to make that jump since I've had such bad luck in the past.

Anyway, like I said, I've been away a while and thought I would check in and get some ideas on where to go from here. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lights are a fairly new addition (as is the tank.) My past endevours have been 29g and 55g, so this is my first experience with a large planted tank. Currently I'm only running the t5s until I get more plants that will actually use the light. I'm actually looking into options for c02...doing a bit more research.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The lights are a fairly new addition (as is the tank.) My past endevours have been 29g and 55g, so this is my first experience with a large planted tank. Currently I'm only running the t5s until I get more plants that will actually use the light. I'm actually looking into options for c02...doing a bit more research.
gotcha...I'm gonna guess you will need CO2 with that amount of light, hopefully others will chime in.

I know a CO2 setup including a tank for a 55 gallon will cost around 150-200 dollars initially and 20-50 for tank refill once every year or so depending on tank size. Not sure how that would compare to a setup for a 210 gallon though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Can you give us full water parameters and what you have stocked in it. Both flora and fauna so far.

Depending on your water parameters we can suggest plants thast will work. But it will also depend on what fish are stocked in the tank. Some fish just do not work well with plants.

For the amount of light you will be able to plant heavy. You will also need root tabs and well as liquid ferts. Since you are using well I would get a copper and iron test kits as well as a full basic test kit. Some well water can be very high in one of the two of those.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'll have to get another kit to get full readings. Is there a kit that the forum members agree on? I'll try and do that this weekend. I've had the water tested for metals and it was clear (that was from the pool store, so it's probably not the same?)
I do have root tabs, but am not using liquids as of now.

As for plants, I just put these in last weekend, so I'm not sure how they will do: Right now I've got 2 small amazon swords, some hornwort, temple, jungle val, java fern, java moss, and something that I call "Dr. Suess" trees (not sure what it is, but I'll try and get a pic) I also just ordered a small package from a forum member that should be here next weekend. (more swords, pennywort, stargrass, dwarf sag)

Fish:

Fire Eel (I was worried about him digging everything up, but he spends most of his time in his tube, so no problems yet)
Clown Loaches
Roseline sharks
Red Tail Shark
Bala Sharks
Cory Cats
BN plecos
Giant Danios
Angelfish

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.