The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up a fluval flora tank at the end of July. I used tap water to fill the tank. I cycled the tank for almost 2 months. The only thing in the tank at this time were the plants and substrate along with snails. I used filter media from my fluval filter that has been running on my 70 g inside the filter for the flora(bioballs and ceramic rings). I also dumped in some of the mulm from inside the filter into the tank to jumpstart the cycle. I was worried at first as it was super cloudy and brown for a little while. I tested the water frequently and when the tank was cycled I placed an order for some shrimp.

The tank never really had an algae outbreak and only recently have I seen a few diatoms on the spray bar.
Before I added any shrimp I did a water change and switched to RO water. My tap water is 8+ in pH!
I added the shrimp at the beginning of September and have been anxiously watching my shrimps for any issues. The shrimp I added were 12 crs/cbrowns with snow white genes. I have tried to feed a variety of foods to them.....invertibites green and red, blanched zucchinis, earthworm flakes, azoo max breed and azoo max growth. I also have a mulberry leaf in the tank. The only thing that I have ever really seen them be excited about was the earthworm flakes...they actually fought over that. Everything else they sample but don't really look like they care. I see them picking at the driftwood and plants....and they always have poop coming out of them....so I am assuming that they are finding something they like to eat that is nutritious. I have seen several molts, which from what I have read is a good thing.

Now my problem is that I have only ever seen 10 of them at the same time to count them. This tank is planted and scaped so I expect that. Today I found one of the crs dead and a snail eating it. I immediately tested my water to make sure that all was well

Here are the results
PH. 7.0
GH. 6
Kh. 0
Nitrite. 0
Nitrate. 0
Ammonia 0
Temp. 76(room temperature)

I do not have a way to test for TDS. Can those be high with the results shown above?

All those results are well within range for conditions needed for shrimps correct? I am paranoid that I will see a repeat of my last attempt to keeping shrimps..which was a die off of all of them! Granted I didn't have optimal conditions, and used tap water to keep them in.....so it wasn't unexpected that they perished....at least knowing what I know now..
I am really trying to do all the right things that I need to do to have these shrimp thrive and breed! Please critique my parameters and ask any questions. Is this the beginning of the end? Or do shrimps just die under optimal conditions? Please reassure me!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Juvies....they were approx 2 months old when I got them......so a little over 3 months now. I just needed to be reassured that I wasn't missing something. I really want this batch to breed. Thank you for your response!

·
Super Moderator
17,161 Posts
Before you know it? You'll have so many shrimplets you won't know what to do.

Seems like no matter what kind of shrimp you have, you'll usually only see 10-15% at any given moment. The only time I ever see massive hordes of shrimp in my tanks are during feedings. And even then it's probably only 50-60% of them.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Keep up your water changes and you will have nothing to worry about. Not every shrimp will make it and you will get the random deaths. I recommend weekly water changes with sensitive shrimp.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I wanted to step in here.

Forget about the water changes. That isn't the issue.
Folks, don't point people down the wrong direction especially with the tank he is running.

Your tank temperature at 76 degrees is too high. I'd lower the temperature in the room to about 73 degrees or so. I had my crs drop like flies when the temperature got to the upper 70's. Believe me you're right there.

You are running co2. Turn it off.

Do you have a bed of hc?
Nope?

Forget it. You don't need it in a shrimp tank.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I wanted to step in here.

Forget about the water changes. That isn't the issue.
Folks, don't point people down the wrong direction especially with the tank he is running.

Your tank temperature at 76 degrees is too high. I'd lower the temperature in the room to about 73 degrees or so. I had my crs drop like flies when the temperature got to the upper 70's. Believe me you're right there.

You are running co2. Turn it off.

Do you have a bed of hc?
Nope?

Forget it. You don't need it in a shrimp tank.
76 degrees is completely fine for breeding and keeping CRS.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Does not look like the tank is properly cycled if nitrate is 0.
Cycling a tank for three weeks with bacteria from another source is ok, if you feed the source while it is cycling.
Did you actually witness a full cycle? Ammonia>Nitrite>Nitrate
And if so, why is your nitrate at 0?
What kind of test kits are you using?

·
Registered
33 Posts
somewhatshocked said:
Seems like no matter what kind of shrimp you have, you'll usually only see 10-15% at any given moment. The only time I ever see massive hordes of shrimp in my tanks are during feedings. And even then it's probably only 50-60% of them.
I see maybe 5-10 Fire Reds at any given time just walking by my Fluval Ebi tank. But we have no idea what's lurking in the shadows of our own plants. I noticed this little guys the other day at feeding time and it reminded me too much of little bugs, and kinda creeped me out.

http://youtu.be/IuU62isHtSc

When I first started this tank up a few months ago with about 13 adults, I really would wonder if I had any one left. I can't comment on your CRS's if somethings wrong, but shrimp love to hide.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Does not look like the tank is properly cycled if nitrate is 0.
Cycling a tank for three weeks with bacteria from another source is ok, if you feed the source while it is cycling.
Did you actually witness a full cycle? Ammonia>Nitrite>Nitrate
And if so, why is your nitrate at 0?
What kind of test kits are you using?
Heavily planted tanks with very low bioload can read as having little to no nitrate. Some nitrate test kits don't even register below 5ppm anyway.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not running CO2 on the tank. I did have it going during the cycle time but before I switched to RO water and ordered shrimp I removed it, as I have heard mixed reviews for using it on a crs tank, and rather than fight it, it just won't have it.
I do not have HC in the tank. My plants are R. Colorata(it's green from no CO2), four leaf clover, subwassertang, crypt wendtii. Bronze, anubias nana petite, diversifolia, hair grass, Fissidens, and moss on the driftwood. While all plants would benefit from having co2 on the tank, the shrimp are the focus.

I do not have a heater on the tank so the temperature is what my house is running at right now( furnace is set for 65*).

Here a picture of the tank and occupants

Crs

Cbrowns

·
Registered
952 Posts
Based off of his current parameters I said that the only thing he needs to worry about now is keeping up on the water changes. I've never heard someone say that water changes were not the answer. Especially with shrimp!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok so tonite I found another shrimp dead..... And being eaten by snails! I did a water change after the last shrimp was found 2 days ago.... ;-(. I'm having a real hard time not being a pessimist..... Is it possible that the snails are coming across shrimp and killing them? I don't know what else to think. I don't have a way to lower the water temp.... And that was suggested as a problem. Any hints?

I did have good news tho....

Can you see her eggs?? ;-). She was showing off her pregnancy by standing on the glass. What r the odds she will keep her eggs to term? I understand first time mothers drop their eggs alot.....

I'm really anxious right now... For losing another.... And seeing my first berried female......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.