The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
It has been a very long time since i last posted a journal on this site. I have not had much to post besides a few shrimp tanks for what seems like ages. I Finally got around to setting up my Mr Aqua 18g since i moved up to Oregon.

Here are the specs:

Equipment
-Mr Aqua 18g (60P look alike)
-FNI 4x24w t5 24"
-Eheim 2215
-hydor 300w inline heater
-jbj dual stage reg with 5lb tank
-ADA pollen glass type-3
-Mr Aqua ADA like beetle counter
-cheap glass co2 checker from ebay
*Adding soon
-Lily Pipes

Substrate & Fert
-AS New
-power sand
-ADA step 1

Flora
-Blyxa Japonica
-DHG "Belem"
-Hydrocotyle sp. Japan
-Unknown Fissiden sp.

Fauna (Nothing yet still cycling in ammonia hell)
I have not decided if i want to pull from some of my holding tanks or if i want to get a new fish. What i could put in it that i have right now:

-Ember Tetra x10
-Chili Rasbora x10

But i have been thinking of going with a rainbow as i had been breeding furcata for a little while but the tank crashed and i lost my whole breeding colony. I have been thinking maybe aru II or something similar. I am all over the place though as i have thought about all kinds of nano fish i could get. So if you have a good semi exotic suggestion please post it!

I had originally planned to go DSM with the DHG and hydro but i ended up pouncing on some good looking and priced blyxa so i had to flood the tank. I put fissiden's in the cracks of the rocks hope it ends up looking nice. Well enough of the wall of text here are my pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot. To mention I am only running half the light banks right now.

Anyone have suggestions for a plant on the right corner?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vals could be pretty cool. It might look nice if they flow to the left of the tank in the current. I have been toying with the idea of adding some color but i think it might be lop sided unless i add some to the left also.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update 4/4/12

Thought i would do a little update ;)

Tank overall is doing pretty good. I have noticed that much of my orginal planted hydrocotyle turned black like it was burned at first. It feel like almost over night a bunch of little nodes are poking through the soil now so i am glad its bouncing back.

Also i noticed some brown algae growing in small amounts pretty much all over. I dialed back the photo period and did a water change today. I am thinking maybe i should float a bunch of amazon frogbit in the tank tell it settles in? I am still only running half the lamps right now for a 6.5hr photo period.

Ammonia readings are off the chart even after a water change. This new AS is pretty gnarly stuff.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts