The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of people are urging me to pick a clay-based substrate. Finance dictates that it be Turface or Oildri; however, the nearest Turface outlet is 60 miles away and health considerations mean that it will be at least a month before I can get there, Walmart, on the other hand, is 3 miles away! And wity the price of gasoline, I gotta add $10 to $15 to the cost of the Turface if I go that route.

Someone gave me a sample of Turface, so I wetted the two (after filtering out the fines from the Oildri). The Oildri was twice as big, about appleseed size (a negative) and a darker red (a positive).

I have read testimonials of people who loved Turface as a substrate. How about Oildri? Is there anyone on the forum who has been having great results with it?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm... I just did some digging. What I have is regular Oildri and what people are using seems to be Oildri SMS.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am in N. Alabama. go to O'reillys and get their oil dry brand it's nice and dark gray when wet and 100% clay no additives. Just make sure you give it a quick rinse because it is very dusty.

I put mine in wet then slowly filled it up and it was crystal clear the next morning.

Best of all, it's $4.99 a bag and it took about half a bag to do my 46 bowfront.

If you were closer, I would give you the rest to do your tank.

PM if you ever want to swap plants!

Steven

1 - 4 of 4 Posts