The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'ello all! I have heard rumors that, when used in a fish tank, oil dri and similar products bring the kh (and presumably the tds) of the tank down. Can anyone confirm this for me?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I use Safe-T-Sorb & yes it did drop the KH. My KH was always low even before I started using it so I use baking soda to keep it up.

Can't answer about TDS since I don't test that.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Don't know about the TDS, but saf-t-sorb and other similar oil dri type products will bring down the Kh. This is only a temporary situation though, as the clay does have a saturation point. As a side affect of dropping the Kh, the Ph will also be lower for awhile.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far! What I was thinking is that I could have a container with oil dry that would be used to reduce the KH and TDS for acidic water fish, and which would be changed once a month to ensure continued efficiency. Would this be effective? (my water's TDS is about 173, but I have no clue what the KH or GH is)

Also, where can one find oil dri or similar products?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.