The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was exclaiming yesterday walking into the house.
Ohhhh my feet... Ohhh My neck... Ohhh My arms...Ahhhh My back....

Well I had finally attacked the Crape Myrtle trees in the yard. These have to be over 40 years old. House was built in '49. Both older than I, so showing some respect and keeping it clean is the name of the game. :)

Anyhow there are five CM. Four planted 2 up in common flowerbeds are getting larger than they probably should be. Planted very close together, makes the canopy merge like one.

Upon purchasing the house the old owner had them hacked back, taking all the sucker growth off each twisted limb.

The last two years I've been meaning to do this again but had not happened. I looked at the better half and went for it Sat.

Reason for the big trim was over the last years the trees in the front yard have not looked so hot. We had a fungus attack over the course as well but have taken steps to prevent this.

So never the less we have rain today so I'll be able to rest and hope I did the trees some good this year.

Oh. Other than a stiff neck. I'm not crippled this morning!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I was exclaiming yesterday walking into the house.
Ohhhh my feet... Ohhh My neck... Ohhh My arms...Ahhhh My back...
sounds like a normal day at work for me:hihi:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like a normal day at work for me:hihi:
I just don't "work hard" any longer.

Most of my day is spent driving a keyboard. Schlepping tools and ladders in the past kept me flexible.

Glad I didn't get too bent, seems I'm not in that bad of shape. :)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
ehh. You remind me that I need to trim the crape myrtle tree in my backyard. Not to mention the fruitless Maple and whatever the other tree is in our front yard. Somehow I'm never as excited to do that kind of trimming than I am to trim my tank :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go get it done soon. Everything over here thinks it's spring. :)

The hills around Altamont had snow on them this morning. Looks like another bad season for the farmers. It's gonna get cold again, just wait.

It seems the plants in the tank and yard need a good beating every once in a while, just to look there best.

Wish we nailed the roses earlier. Is it bad to hack roses back with new (premature) growth?

Hacked back the tank on Sunday. Ahhh I feel so much better now.

Riped out all of the BBA covered plants and replanted all of the bicopa. Nice to see my moss covered Java fern stumps again.

Crypts were all thinned and anubias was thinned as well.

Chucked about (felt like) 8 lb of penny wort and green hygro.

Yard and tank are shaping up nicely. Yes!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I'm going to be doing a lot of that in the coming months!

I have a tree which I'm going to be removing in my front yard, and I think I'm going to have to hang out on the roof with a trimming poll for awhile and get all the branches that keep dropping leaves in the gutters. It'll be interesting.

This is my first year owning my own house, so I'm very excited to get to play with the landscape this spring!!!

I love yardwork though - I sit behind a computer all day for work, my code compiles and I get feedback. Exciting. But working in the YARD! Oh! You get to see actual PHYSICAL PROGRESS!!! It is a wonderful feeling!

·
Plant Lover
296 Posts
I had to re-stack part of the wood pile yesterday. Stacked eight feet high in rows in a 16 long x 8 x 8' wood shed I built. The back row (with a partial row in front of it) which was what was left, the rest having been moved into the garage or burned, decided to breathe, and collapsed into a big pile.

Yet one more stacking of wood. That is what keeps my aging body fit (with skiing and hiking and all). We are months from any yard work, still feet deep in snow. Spring doesn't get here until May usually.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remember the days in the Midwest.

We lived in Marion, IN in the early 80's. Missed the big storms that buried houses a year before the move... Cali to Ind call that culture shock? We moved from the foothills above Sacramento so I had an idea what cold and snow looked like, but not that cold. :)

Too bad not having a definitive Winter is lost on all these kids living at or below sea level.

My parents went hippie for a while in the late 70's so we would grow our own veggies and lived off the land as much as possible, chickens, goats ext. Of course till we moved and shifted to hard core suburbanites.

Scouting trees to cut up for the wood pile was just one of the fun jobs we had. Finding that large oak or fallen pine and hucking the double buck saw around with my Pop made me feel like a lumberjack at 12 years old. :)

·
Plant Lover
296 Posts
We've got to use chain saws. We burn too much to use pure muscle power (no double buck or other hand held saw). Thankfully a friend now helps drag down trees out of our woods with his tractor. I've gotten the truck stuck back in there too many times loaded with wood I've already bucked. Seems like I spend a lot of time stacking. It is a change from the SF Bay Area.

Sounds like a good experience for a 12 year old. Looking forward to my kids being big enough to help out.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We've got to use chain saws. We burn too much to use pure muscle power (no double buck or other hand held saw). Thankfully a friend now helps drag down trees out of our woods with his tractor. I've gotten the truck stuck back in there too many times loaded with wood I've already bucked. Seems like I spend a lot of time stacking. It is a change from the SF Bay Area.

Sounds like a good experience for a 12 year old. Looking forward to my kids being big enough to help out.
We did too but for different reasons. I'll always consider Meadow Vista, Ca my home town, regardless where I live now. :)

Just before we moved in '79 there was a beetle infestation attacking the Ponderous pines. We used a planking attachment to board out several trees around the property with a big ass chain saw.

Some of these trees were 80+ feet. Bringing them down was the best part.

As for the fire wood pile we usually kept ahead of the curve and used wedge and sledge to split the big logs up. I honestly do not remember if we had a full size ax, I do remember cracking a hatchet on top of my head via back swing one time. Have I done this again, NO, live and learn.

It would be great if we could instill this kind of work ethic in the kids these days. I believe anyone is doing their kids a disservice not making them help maintain the household. Also remember the bad ass video game in those days was Pong. :) Atari had not released yet.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I am fully prepared to make our future kids help out with yard work, chores, etc. No offense to my dad, but growing up I remember helping out on a lot of yard work-type things, but a lot of the time he was the one doing the work and I was there to hold stuff or help/watch. I didn't learn much this way as I need to learn by *doing*.
There were many things that I learned, however, and thank him for showing me. We lived in the country, so they were on well water and I learned a bit about that, as well as replacement of the pump. We put up fences, organized burn piles (more regulated nowadays), planted and trimmed hedges/trees, changed oil, sparkplugs, brakes on the car...many other things.
hehe, Atari was released when I was a little tyke. We got an Atari 2600 for xmas when I was 3 yrs old and the rest is history ;) I refuse to let my (future) kids rot in front of a tv or computer for 6+ hrs a day like a lot of kids nowadays. Getting outside to work and learn about things helped prevent me from having a steeper learning curve when moving into my first house back in '05 ;)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is the challenge these days. How do you instill a work ethic with so many entertainment options available.

The Atari 2600 was our first home computer. :) I think it was around 80 or 81...

Pretty much another game console unless you wanted to learn basic coding. We set it up to track time with a simple program. :proud:

We use a couple of methods of encouragement for the boys to help in the yard.
1) They have a time limit on gaming each day. Usually no more than an hour stretch each. If they choose to play 2 up there is no break in the limit. Unless they are working on homework what else are they going to do.
2) We remind them that if I have to pay for someone to do this stuff there is less money available to do fun things.
3) Remind them who feeds them each day and ask if they have ever gone to bed hungry?

May not be words of encouragement but at times motivating.

It's too bad the 14 year old can't be trusted to mow the lawn just yet. I was running the lawn tractor at 11. But then again I'm a gear head from birth so getting over my head with machinery never frightened me. I do have to give him credit though. He did help me build a new fence last year. I have another to finish as well soon so once the budget frees up for materials well get back into building again...

This year I hope to take it a step further and get them more involved with the yard. Since our daughter was born it has been sorely over looked. Two years of little maintenance shows in the 50+ roses we have on the property.

Funny you mention prepping for your new house. I was raised by a mother that did most everything herself.

My father arrived to the house after a business trip and she moved the door from entering the kitchen to a mud room off the side. Framed and sided all by herself, and a little help from us kids. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts