The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*SOB* *SOB*
:icon_cry:

I didn't know my two Julii cory cats would eat my new shrimplets.. How sad... I went to clean the tank and re-plant some clovers in my 10gal shrimp(less) tank and was wondering where all my little shrimps went to and after moving some plants and rocks I didn't see any. I did notice that they were missing but I thought they were just hiding cuz they were newly introduced into the tank a few weeks ago. I never expected them to be eaten by those innocent cory cats. =(

I'm so sad and bummed. No matter how much I try to breed shrimp I never succeed... If it is not one thing, it is another thing that always makes me not succeed in breeding or even raising these supposedly easy and hardy shrimps. I think I'm going to give up and put away the tank. Sigh.. Sorry.. just wanted to rant.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Have you ever seen shrimp pellets sold at the LFS?

They have a cory on it.
LOL!!! That's true!

Poohbee: Have you tried just having a shrimp-only tank? That way you don't have to worry about anything eating them. Give them the right/safe conditions and they will breed like rabbits! :) Don't give up! :) If you want to keep cories with your shrimp, try the dwarf ones like: Corydoras Habrosus or Corydoras Pygmaeus. I own several of the pygmaeus variety and they do great with my shrimp!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took out the two julii cories and put them in my 72gal tank... sigh.. I thought having a couple bottom feeders would be okay for cleaning up left over food.. but I never imagined they would feed on the shrimps. Live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cories like people will always choose fresh food over leftovers. I lost my cherries to a dwarf cichlid not much bigger than they were. I guess live food over frozen in that case. Never under estimate a cichlid or a catfish no matter what size they are.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Dwarf cories (like my C. habrosus) do well with shrimp. Some shrimp are bigger than they are. The shrimp and cories will "fight" over pellets. Shrimp usually win :icon_cry:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Poohbee: If you are worried about the lil leftovers, just add some snails. They will take care of it and won't eat your shrimp. My MTS do a GREAT job of this!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice. I'm going to try one more time at trying to breed shrimps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts