The Planted Tank Forum banner

Oh NO! Greenwater! Black out didn't work!

5251 29
So my tank has been set up and stable for several months now, when I changed fertilizers to Flourish. The first week or so I WAY over fertilized and I now have green water. I have read all about it and the tricks to getting rid of it, unfortunately the one option I can afford is a black out, which didn't work. Is it possible that it is something other than green water? It looks like green water. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
water changes. put simply, regular tank maintenance is one of the best ways to control algae. there is probably a c02 imbalance. its hard to over fertilize, easy to have a c02 fluctuation. if your plants needed more ferts and now you are giving them to them, they now also need more c02. Algae grows off of imbalance in the system. best thing to do is figure out what is the cause of the imbalance, correct the problem, and do PWC's until the tank clears up, also a great biological cycle will handle green water. i believe i read in one of tom barr's reports that green algae water is attributed to ammonia spikes. good bio cycle means no algae. introduce some oxygen to the tank as it will help you have a strong healthy bio cycle

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Most everybody is going to tell you to use a UV sterilizer because quite frankly, them always work. Check out craigslist, the SnS, ebay, etc. and try to find a used one cheap. At one point petco was selling the green machine 9W UV sterilizer on sale online for 21 bucks down from 50! I took that ad into PetSmart and the store price matched their competitor's online. PetCo won't even price match their own prices.

Anyway, apart from that, avoid direct sunlight hitting your tank. Even the small sides can spell catastrophe if it is receiving direct light. If necessary use excess background to wrap around the sides if that's the case.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Blackouts have worked for me just fine.

Put window screening between your lights and the water or raise the lights and cut down on the lighting period too.

I let the floaters completely cover the surface and that got rid of it once as well. I suspect floaters scavenge ammonia and since they get CO2 from the air are very good at taking advantage of a little extra ammonia.

Currently my tank looks super green 6 days after a water change. Turns out it is more GDA than green water at this point. Looks like Oz in there then I scrape the glass and the green turns to green, orange, red, black and blue fish again.

·
Registered
576 Posts
lolol say what you really think ;) u crack me up booger!

One of my pet peeves. Algae control is probably the most challenging aspect of this hobby, and still so confusing for so many. Oh, you have an algae problem? Let's not sort through the issue to locate a root cause. That's at least 15-30 minutes of critical thought and we may not even like what we find!

Instead, let's close our eyes and start playing with chemicals. Let's all take a guess at a quick and easy solution. Even better, I know algae has been around 3 billion years, but there's no way it could survive a few days in the dark. And if it goes away, there's no way it can come back, right?

Reminds me of people who want to lose weight, but really aren't interested in that whole diet and exercise stuff. They buy the funny looking shoes, a load of caffeine pills, and some acai berries.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
One of my pet peeves. Algae control is probably the most challenging aspect of this hobby, and still so confusing for so many. Oh, you have an algae problem? Let's not sort through the issue to locate a root cause. That's at least 15-30 minutes of critical thought and we may not even like what we find!

Instead, let's close our eyes and start playing with chemicals. Let's all take a guess at a quick and easy solution. Even better, I know algae has been around 3 billion years, but there's no way it could survive a few days in the dark. And if it goes away, there's no way it can come back, right?

Reminds me of people who want to lose weight, but really aren't interested in that whole diet and exercise stuff. They buy the funny looking shoes, a load of caffeine pills, and some acai berries.
Wow I do believe we are on the same page.. I've wondered since I was a wee little kid as to why people take so many shortcuts that never fix the root cause of the problem

·
Banned
444 Posts
booger your are brilliant!
break it down and most things are very, very simple. But you hit the nail on the head.People just want the quick fix, no effort, no wait solution...there are some things (not many) money wont buy. Algae fix being one of them.
So if I cover myself in black binliners and sit in a darkened room for 3 days.....will my cellulite go away? ;)
lol
another good post. :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
booger your are brilliant!
break it down and most things are very, very simple. But you hit the nail on the head.People just want the quick fix, no effort, no wait solution...there are some things (not many) money wont buy. Algae fix being one of them.
So if I cover myself in black binliners and sit in a darkened room for 3 days.....will my cellulite go away? ;)
lol
another good post. :)[/QUOTE

No but if anyone finds out you may end up getting locked up in the nut house.:icon_smil

·
Plant Clown
4,737 Posts
Spot-dosing with Excel (or some other gularaldehyde source or H2O2) will kill off algae

A blackout will kill off algae

A UV sterilizer will kill off algae

A 10-14 day Excel 3x overdose will kill off algae

And yet, there's a reason algae showed up in the first place. So you can kill off algae, certainly. But if you haven't addressed the original cause of it, why bother? Light drives growth. CO2 and nutrients are necessary to keep up with it. Failure to provide enough nutrients and/or CO2 to keep up with the lighting causes algae. That's the bottom line, and it's really that simple. Fix the algae-causing issue and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
So kevmo do you keep on dosing, lights the same (unless black out is used), and doing water changes. My tank started to cloud and the water looked white so I thought it was something I did like overdosing, so I quit dosing but left the CO2 and lights on their regular schedule and it got really green, you couldn't tell if there was anything in the tank.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Yup there is a reason algae showed up. Just fixing the problem will help but many alga won't just go away if conditions are perfect for our vascular plants. Most times doing something does help. Zapping staghorn with Excel AND improving circulation to the area stopped it cold for example. I seriously doubt the green fuzz I had before CO2 left the tank except when I removed infested leaves.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I did a 50% WC and got a duo of circluation pumps and a wave maker becuase my tank only has 2 Eheim 2215 canisters for flow, but in the process of going from low tech to high I made some mistakes. I think the main thing was trying to burn up some PPS Pro macro solution after going high tech, I was dosing it in amounts that would meet EI standards but I think all the excess K2S04 & MgS04 did me in. I should have just dumped it on some bushes outside instead of dumping it in my tank, well lesson learned. Now I have good (better) flow in the tank, I'm using Osmo root ferts and the plants are doing well, I just have to get back in routine with either light or no water column dosing. That was another thing I did was use the root ferts because of my old Flourite, My plants wern't growing at all but atleast the water was clear, I just need to learn to calm down and take things slow. It's been years but this tank used to be on auto pilot and every couple of weeks I would throw out a half of a kitchen trash can worth of clippings, right now I'm a mess.

·
Registered
108 Posts
@ 150EH

Ok...I gotta ask...whhhyyyy were you dosing your tank with magnesium sulfate? Magnesium in a trace, I get. Potassium sulfate, I get. But just plain ol' raw MgSO4? Were you dosing nitrate and phosphate as well, or just those two?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.