The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed my lemon tetras are looking sick. What the hell does this look like? FirstI noticed one had a white nose and now I see a few have half their face looking rotten.
Any idea what this is?

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had these tetras are a couple weeks now but moved them to this tank yesterday.

Meds in hand are kanaplex, metro and polyguard.
Any good for this and ok with plants? Should I try to catch them or is it in the tank now?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Kanaplex ought to work.

It is OK to treat the main tank, Kanamycin has little action against nitrifying bacteria.
It can also be incorporated into food, which, if the fish are still eating, is the best way to treat them.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dosed the water with kanaplex and mixed some with focus to bind it to some food.
I just realized I should treat the tank they came out of as well.

I read that I should also treat with furan-2 so I'll buy some shortly.

This sucks

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I definitely would recommend treating the entire tank, since that is a disease you definitely don't want to take chances with. I would not kill the two infected tetras. You can separate them to the other tank that is also being treated if you wish (I would if I was treating), just to lessen chances of spreading the disease. Gradually lowering temps (to 75*F or so) can slow down the progression of the disease.

Great deal of information about Columnaris here
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention

Info on the active med ingredients (Kanamycin - KanaPlex, Nitrofurazone - Furan-2)
Aquarium Medications Part 2 | Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Treatments
Aquarium Medications Part 2 | Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Treatments

Note that using Furan-2 with KanaPlex is meant to be dosed at the same time/together in a combination to provide a synergistic effect to raise minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) values, making the med combination more effective than when used alone. I am not sure how effective the combo is if you are already are using Kanaplex and then introduce Furan-2 a couple days or so after starting treatment. It should at least be better than only using one. Do not stop dosing Kanaplex just to wait for Furan 2. Once an antibiotic is started it should be dosed the entire/full course to prevent bacteria from building an immunity to the med.

Do note that Furan-2 can harm some plants (hardy ones like Java fern and Anubias will be okay, unsure about others) and is not safe for inverts.

I do recommend removing the meds out of the water via activated carbon/charcoal (turn on skimmers and UV's if you have them as well after treatment is complete) soon after treatment is completed as the meds aren't the gentlest (prolonged exposure can cause kidney damage and increased stress).

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks WL.
I think I'll dose the hospital tank with both the kanaplex, which I added to both tanks, and will also add furan-2 to the hospital tank with the visibly sick tetras.

I think I'll hold off on putting furan-2 into my display tank. If my 100 or so crypts died I'd be crushed.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I just dealt with this same thing with 30 new lemon tetras I bought about a 2 weeks ago. I am down to 10 left. They dropped like flies. I used both kanaplex and furan2. Didn't seem to do much for the already effected fish. Hope the last 10 I got will make it.

Good luck to you.

Make sure to keep temp as low as your fish will allow. Slows down the bacteria. Don't feed much through treatment either. Remove dead fish and freeze.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Geeze man, that's rough.
Did your tetras look like mine with the grey face areas?
I bought 11 at one fish store, all they had, and the next day I saw 3 at petco so I bought them as well. Now I'm sitting here thinking they must be the petco fish. That or a weird coincidence that three are showing the illness.

What really sucks is I probably spread this to my other tanks too. Losing the tetras would be the least of it. If my other fish and plants crash I'm going to be absolutely devastated.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Some had the same mouths while other had the lesions on the body and some on the base of the tail.

I hear you its terrible... I had them in the same tank as my geophagus tapajos... $260 worth in geos.

Plants did fine with the med though.

On my way to buy another 40 as we speak. They will go in their own tank for a month or so. No more risking my main display tank. Seems like my geos were not affected which is good.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No change here. Just the 2 visibly sick tetras. Going to pick up more kanaplex and furan2 today.
Furan-2 is expensive so it's only going in the hospital tank otherwise I'll have to buy $40 worth to complete the whole treatment. The kanaplex isnt cheap either. I should do 2 more doses even in the tanks with no visibly sick fish right?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
The problem is the bacteria exist in your main tank now, it may not be a problem as the healthy fish could fight it off and not allow columnaris disease to take over. But anytime you allow a stressed fish into that tank, it could potentially be a problem.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.