The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you among those who have a farm tank? For some, aquascaping just doesn't fly. For others, you keep a farm tank as your pallet for your 1...2...3....8 aquascaped tanks. Here's mine: A 30 gallon, nutrient hog, dominated by a few overgrown swords. But, there are about a dozen other species, just waiting for their chance to get in my 46g. Hydrocotyle runs amuck. Pygmy chainsword eeks out a living under the canopy. Crypts and anubias are right at home in the shadows. Limnophila grows thin and green, grabbing a photon wherever it can. Various Apons lay dormant among the roots. Duckweed, frogbit and water lettuce float above. Dead leaves litter the bottom, much to the liking of the lone redtail shark.

So, post yours now, and tell us about it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i sorta do. No picture though. Its a 2.5g "grow out" for my 10g, which is mostly java moss, pennywort, and dwarf sag just tossed in with a splash of ricca. Its only lit by sunlight from a southward facing window. It has no filter. It has become a secondary snail breeder for me.

But the water quality is amazing. Its smells fresh and clean and the water is always crystal. Its completely jammed packed and is very productive snail wise for my pufferfish.

I add a 1/2 ml of flourish every once in awhile along with some top off water.

I wish all my tanks could be so easy.:icon_cool

my current 10g is kinda a corkscrew val farm in itself, as i am setting up several larger tanks within the next 2 weeks or so and one will be an amazon river/south american theme with a lot of current.

I love farming.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
sorry for the camera phone shot lol I just took this crazy out of hand plant farm...

·
Registered
714 Posts

This picture is from year 1998 I think. There was a breeding pair of Discus, a big shoal of tetras, otos and cories, the tank was 300 liters / 79 gallons. Left side was full of giant vallisneria, Vallisneria gigantea and java fern, Microsorum pteropus, the front was covered with Echinodorus quadricostatus, middle back had a huge bush of stargrass, Heteranthera zosterifolia, and there was lots of Cabomba caroliniana, a huge tiger lotus and some water pennyword, Hydrocotyle leucocephala on the right side of the tank.

I think I kept pruning the tank once a week and still it got filled with plants in few days. The magic of fast growers. :D I actually miss that tank, the discus laid eggs, everything looked pretty, it was an open top tank and pennywort grew out of the tank and bloomed. It was my first serious planted tank, I think I set it up around 1995-1996.

·
Registered
664 Posts
My 29g is turning into a Hygro polysperma and Ambulia farm:

I can't wait to change the substrate, upgrade the lighting a bit, and get some pressurized CO2 on this tank so I can reaquascape it. :D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
This is from a while back. I think I thinned it out to take at least 1/2 the plants into the store I work at. The biggest issue I has was the drarf sag. that grew to about 9-10 inches. Not quite a forground plant anymore at that hieght.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts