The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search here for Anubias Micro, could not find any threads, soooo.. I'd like to invite people to add pictures of their smallest Anubias Petite! I was lucky enough to find some, which is the smallest I have ever seen. It's absolutely tiny. I'll add pics in a few hours, but in the meantime, I would love to see your smallest specimen!

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I think its a matter of playing the name game again. I have a boat load of Nanas and nana petites and some of my petites are that small depending on where they are in the tank. Gordon Richards also knows a bit about anubias so his input would be useful here too. Ill put some pics up soon, im out of town for the weekend.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think its a matter of playing the name game again. I have a boat load of Nanas and nana petites and some of my petites are that small depending on where they are in the tank. Gordon Richards also knows a bit about anubias so his input would be useful here too. Ill put some pics up soon, im out of town for the weekend.
I'd love to see pics of yours. The thing with these ones, I saw the tank they were in, and this is all over the tank. Every plant has leaves this size, so it doesn't depend on the conditions or lighting as far as I can tell. The leaves will stay this small regardless.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that not just "baby" anubias petite instead of a new species?
Oh I see what you're saying.. "baby".. No they're not babies, these a fully mature plants. They have been in the tank I got them from for a long time, and they are the same size as all of the others in there. The largest leaf I have here is about the size of the largest leaf in the whole tank.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Just found this post and figured I'd post. I hope you didn't spend a ton of cash on that petite!

I was down to one of them in my collection and it is seriously the smallest petite I've ever had in my possession. Now, there might be smaller ones, but there are tons of variants out there. Here is a photo of one of my petite micros :^)

How long has it been in the tank? Over 6 months, no co2. Its actually emersed growth.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Anubias nana "petite" is not new, it has been around a few years now. It is more easily available in the USA now since Florida Aquatic Nurseries started mass producing them in pots. F.A.N. is the largest commercial producer of aquatic plants in the USA and supplies 90% of all the pet/aquarium stores, most American mail order plant sellers, and most of the American Ebay or Aquabid plant stores. There is no smaller strain than "petite" and all Petite nana in the world originated from Oriental Aquarium of Singapore. It is a man made variant and not a natural specie variation.

In the USA you can buy it from any store that buys plants from a FAN distributor, online from aquariumplants.com (make sure its from FAN and not their African exporter. All plants from Africa are wild caught, and this is not a wild plant) azgardens.com, Liveaquaria.com and two or three American aquabid stores

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anubias nana "petite" is not new, it has been around a few years now. It is more easily available in the USA now since Florida Aquatic Nurseries started mass producing them in pots. F.A.N. is the largest commercial producer of aquatic plants in the USA and supplies 90% of all the pet/aquarium stores, most American mail order plant sellers, and most of the American Ebay or Aquabid plant stores. There is no smaller strain than "petite" and all Petite nana in the world originated from Oriental Aquarium of Singapore. It is a man made variant and not a natural specie variation.

In the USA you can buy it from any store that buys plants from a FAN distributor, online from aquariumplants.com (make sure its from FAN and not their African exporter. All plants from Africa are wild caught, and this is not a wild plant) azgardens.com, Liveaquaria.com and two or three American aquabid stores
That's kind of contradictory.. there's no smaller strain than the petite, which is a man made, right? So, what if "man" has "made" another, smaller variant, called "micro".. that would be another "man made" strain... wouldn't it? Am I missing something here? Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative.. It just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts

There are smaller variants of BARTERI. Which petite is one of. There's nothing stopping them from selecting smaller and smaller plants.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
As I stated, this is the smallest petite variant I've found. I'm currently sourcing more of them.

Sure, Florida Aquatic has their own petite variant, but it sure isn't as small as mine.

Just wanted to toss in my 2 cents.

-Gordon

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.