The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is all about fish,plants and everything that goes with it.Guess that is why it is called The Planted Tank lol but i know most of you have other pets and just for fun would like to meet some of them.This my beautiful black lab Cody.My dear friend and companion and this is what happens the first Saturday of each month when they test the severe weather siren,hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KFaZhg7-_Y

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Thats a cool vid, thanks for sharing. The doodette and I have two dogs. We have a Jack Russel named Nitro and a black lab named Sable. The two animals could not be more different.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dood,I take my dog to a dog park where he runs around with a Jack Russel that is the coolest dog,it is like he has springs in his back legs and will jump into your arms if you call him and hold out you hands.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
We've got a houseful.

2 Blue Front Amazon parrots. One was domestic bred, the other was wild caught. Both were adopted.

Cat- Domestic long hair. Adopted from Pet Smart.

Jack Russell

Yellow-footed tortoise and a Russian tortoise. The Yellow-footed had pneumonia when we bought her ( we did not know this at the time) and the Russian tortoise was loaded with parasites.

3 guinea pigs that were adopted from Pet Co

Lionhead rabbit who is a total snob. I love her dearly, but I won't own another rabbit whether they're snotty or nah.

I might edit this later for pics. I have a Green Machine video running in the background.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
My first American Pit Bull Terrier never howled, but after he heard our neighbors Bull Mastiff howl at any emergency vehicle siren, he started doing the same haha.
My current pits don't howl at any sirens, but they all howl together every time they hear me come home :)

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Haha!

@TaylorTurner, I admire the adventures you and your dog go on! I know those experiences making life time lasting memories and makes your bond that much greater.
Haha, how'd you come up with the name Beezy? :D
I liked that avatar pic you had of you and your dog in the woods
Hope the adventures have been safe from any large predators.
Is that Mt. Rainier? I'm supposed to hike that within the next few years...brrrr

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
We have the last "connection" to when we had a house full of kids and cats and dogs.....yeah, it was mayhem.....as it should be.

Shep will be 13 in September and showing his age now. Pretty much stone deaf. So he's a very "visually-trained" dog now. When someone dropped an ice cube from the freezer he used to come running for it from the basement. So he's gotten a little smarter. I would usually find a scrap or two for him after we cleared the table and started doing dishes. His trigger was always the commotion of dishes, glasses and utensils. Now he just sits in the living room staring at me until I finish dinner and leave the table dish in hand and follows me in to the kitchen so he doesn't miss his chance. Hope springs eternal! My youngest is home from school now and takes him on walks and hikes that are longer than he's used to anymore. After one of those, we have to check to see if he's still breathing while he's asleep.

But at one point we had Shep, his mother Ruby and three outdoor(primarily) cats. All were Ruby's flock and she guarded ALL of us with everything she had. She put herself between my wife a three black bears at one point. But when she bolted after a deer while my wife had her on a leash, my wife will show you the scars she still has. The dog lived for keeping tabs on every single member of the family within eyesight and I miss her so dearly. The last of the cats just passed away at the ripe old age of 16.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have the last "connection" to when we had a house full of kids and cats and dogs.....yeah, it was mayhem.....as it should be.

Shep will be 13 in September and showing his age now. Pretty much stone deaf. So he's a very "visually-trained" dog now. When someone dropped an ice cube from the freezer he used to come running for it from the basement. So he's gotten a little smarter. I would usually find a scrap or two for him after we cleared the table and started doing dishes. His trigger was always the commotion of dishes, glasses and utensils. Now he just sits in the living room staring at me until I finish dinner and leave the table dish in hand and follows me in to the kitchen so he doesn't miss his chance. Hope springs eternal! My youngest is home from school now and takes him on walks and hikes that are longer than he's used to anymore. After one of those, we have to check to see if he's still breathing while he's asleep.

But at one point we had Shep, his mother Ruby and three outdoor(primarily) cats. All were Ruby's flock and she guarded ALL of us with everything she had. She put herself between my wife a three black bears at one point. But when she bolted after a deer while my wife had her on a leash, my wife will show you the scars she still has. The dog lived for keeping tabs on every single member of the family within eyesight and I miss her so dearly. The last of the cats just passed away at the ripe old age of 16.[/QUOTE

It's great to have them and really hard to lose them.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
We had to take Ruby to the vet and have her put down. I have no problems saying that I wept uncontrollably that day. I've never come across another creature so overwhelmingly driven to being loyal and devoted.

REALLY hard to lose them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Haha!

@TaylorTurner, I admire the adventures you and your dog go on! I know those experiences making life time lasting memories and makes your bond that much greater.
Haha, how'd you come up with the name Beezy? :D
I liked that avatar pic you had of you and your dog in the woods
Hope the adventures have been safe from any large predators.
Is that Mt. Rainier? I'm supposed to hike that within the next few years...brrrr
It's Mt Hood. I really need to get up into Washington more often. That was actually one of my goals for the summer, but it turns out the next section of my chemistry series won't be offered until next spring, so I must take it over the summer. Hopefully I can still get out for a few trips. As for the name, my partner named her after a very obscure Simpsons character.

Here's my pit, Fowler. Boy does this guy have a lot of personality. He's a pain sometimes, but a lovable pain. Mostly because he's needy......basically a big lap dog.
He's adorable! I have known quite a few pits over the years and they have all kinda been big lap dogs.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
This is my amazing boxer Fang and his new companion, my son Lincoln. :)
Haha he's already a pillow :)
Kind of looks like an American Bulldog

Looks like he had knee surgery? :(
One of my pits hurt one of her Cruciate Ligaments in her knee somehow and was getting worse over a months time, vet said it would need surgery, I did some research and seen that vets say to do surgery when most of the time it can heal on it's own (my dog is younger and no history of any knee issues), so I held off and my dog was 110% within a few weeks time with no surgery and still 110%!
Read some pretty horrific stories about those metal reconstruction in the knees too, so that had me lean toward giving my dog more time to naturally heal as a first option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haha he's already a pillow :)
Kind of looks like an American Bulldog

Looks like he had knee surgery? :(
One of my pits hurt one of her Cruciate Ligaments in her knee somehow and was getting worse over a months time, vet said it would need surgery, I did some research and seen that vets say to do surgery when most of the time it can heal on it's own (my dog is younger and no history of any knee issues), so I held off and my dog was 110% within a few weeks time with no surgery and still 110%!
Read some pretty horrific stories about those metal reconstruction in the knees too, so that had me lean toward giving my dog more time to naturally heal as a first option.
Yep.. Absolutely loves the new addition to our family, if I'm mowing the lawn and my boy starts crying he comes outside and barks to let me know! And I know he looks almost identical to a bulldog but I met both his parents and I don't know what happened to him but he picked my keys up and started walking to the door, so he came home with me.

And yeah It was exactly that, a cruciate ligament, unfortunately he needs major hip surgery and when they did the pre surgery xray they found he had to have his knee sorted out first then heal before they go near his hip. But after all the pain he's been through we honestly dont want to put the poor guy through more surgery.

I wish he could talk and tell us what he wants, instead of us making the call and possible causing more pain for him. It's been 4 months since surgery and he's still barely walking on it. .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Haha, funny story of how you met like it's a scene in a movie.

Sorry to hear the unfortunate stuff though :(
I know just how stressful all that can be.
If you aren't already, give Fang glucosamine pills (just use the "human-grade" ones from Costco, no need for the expensive dog labeled ones). Won't kill the pain, but will help heal the knee and hips.
Hoping everything better.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My Havanese, Lily, recently tore her cruciate ligament and my vet advised against surgery as she is a smaller dog - about 14 lbs - and almost 13 yrs old. But it is often recommended for larger, younger dogs. The vet put Lily on Carprofen, which is non-steroidal and it worked great for her. Because it's non-steroidal, they can stay on it for a very long time if necessary. She was on it for about a month and now shows no evidence she even had a problem, except she won't climb stairs anymore. We tried it in combination with Tramadol in the beginning as the Carprofen didn't seem to be enough, but Tramadol made her throw up.

She was always a clutz on stairs, crashing now and again on her way up, which is how I believe she store the ligament. Good for me that I only have 3 front steps and she is only 14 lbs.

My 16 year old Silky Terrier, Maggie, is unfortunately starting to exhibit kidney failure. Vet is predicting maybe 6-9 mos left for her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll try the glucosamine and see how he goes. I've just done some research on it and seems common enough and worthy to give it a try!

Yep when I saw that scene in Marley and me, the wife and I both looked at each other and discussed copyright laws for a good 15 seconds!

Ahhh Sue, I'm so sorry to hear about Maggie. I'm sure the next 9 months and more with her will be just like the last 16 years! Keep your head up.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.