The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am breeding some OEBKK and diving into research. However I am finding it difficult to find a-lot of answers
First of all, what is the difference between OEBT and BTOE?
are black tigers actually black or blue with wide band stripes covering their bodies?
Do they breed true?
Now, As I am asking these questions I am completely aware that I have the King Kong variation. I just cant find articles for them other than for sale sites so I am down to these search results
I also Purchased these as OEBKK but only one of my 4 has any white on them. they all appear to be extremely dark blue appearing black. SO did I receive extreme black king kongs or is this normal?
Thanks for reading, :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I didn't get any replies yet but still hopeful someone will chime in about the OEBT/BTOE language. Are they basically the same but worded different? I did get an update that the shrimp I bought are in fact Orange eye BKK extremes, I had no idea they are not black as babies so I am relived that the babies that were produced are not culls

·
Registered
113 Posts
OEBT = Orange Eye Blue Tiger and BTOE = Black Tiger Orange Eye. They are both acronyms created when orange eye tiger shrimps were introduced into the market over a decade ago. The other acronym created during this period is OERBT (Orange Eye Royal Blue Tiger). I believe breeders managed to make OERBT and BTOE shrimp breed true now, but OEBT shrimp still does not breed true. Both the OERBT and BTOE lack the band markings.

When Taiwan bees were introduced, soon came along king kongs and pintos. Breeders began crossbreeding with them to create these new orange eye shrimps you see today. It is rare for your OEBKK to have white on it because breeders discovered the orange eye gene causes the white pigment to become translucent. This is why you do not see any orange eye pandas, red wines, etc. Instead, some call them orange eye [color] ghosts. On rare occassions, you can find orange eye shrimp with white pigment on them but as of today, the maximum amount of white is but a few speckles on them. And it is also probably because of this issue, breeders started to choose king kongs to crossbreed with the orange eye shrimp to create orange eye yellow king kongs, orange eye black king kongs, and lastly, orange eye red devils (orange eye red king kong). I do not know who comes up with these names, as there is clearly no naming convention for these shrimps. I remember when they refer red king kongs as "red ruby extreme" and then they call orange eye red king kongs as "red devils". Whatever the case is with their naming schematic, at least it is not as bad as with Bucephalandras.

It is not uncommon to find orange eye king kongs not filled with a single color as they currently do not breed true. Sometimes you find orange eye king kongs with translucent areas. Culling is still required until someone manages to create a stable line for them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OEBT = Orange Eye Blue Tiger and BTOE = Black Tiger Orange Eye. They are both acronyms created when orange eye tiger shrimps were introduced into the market over a decade ago. The other acronym created during this period is OERBT (Orange Eye Royal Blue Tiger). I believe breeders managed to make OERBT and BTOE shrimp breed true now, but OEBT shrimp still does not breed true. Both the OERBT and BTOE lack the band markings.

When Taiwan bees were introduced, soon came along king kongs and pintos. Breeders began crossbreeding with them to create these new orange eye shrimps you see today. It is rare for your OEBKK to have white on it because breeders discovered the orange eye gene causes the white pigment to become translucent. This is why you do not see any orange eye pandas, red wines, etc. Instead, some call them orange eye [color] ghosts. On rare occassions, you can find orange eye shrimp with white pigment on them but as of today, the maximum amount of white is but a few speckles on them. And it is also probably because of this issue, breeders started to choose king kongs to crossbreed with the orange eye shrimp to create orange eye yellow king kongs, orange eye black king kongs, and lastly, orange eye red devils (orange eye red king kong). I do not know who comes up with these names, as there is clearly no naming convention for these shrimps. I remember when they refer red king kongs as "red ruby extreme" and then they call orange eye red king kongs as "red devils". Whatever the case is with their naming schematic, at least it is not as bad as with Bucephalandras.

It is not uncommon to find orange eye king kongs not filled with a single color as they currently do not breed true. Sometimes you find orange eye king kongs with translucent areas. Culling is still required until someone manages to create a stable line for them.

Now Im curious, does the king kong term relate to size in any way or just another sub naming process? Ive noticed a difference in size from cardinias to neos, I love that they are bigger
I have a couple of BTOEKK extremes. most are entirely black but 1 has a clear band on its tail
If any ghost coloration come out are they considered higher or lower grade? im assuming lower since they would likely be culls

·
Super Moderator
16,109 Posts
does the king kong term relate to size in any way
No. Not related to size.

Some Tiger strains can on occasion be larger than Neocaridina shrimp, however.

Have you done much reading here on the forum about shrimp or perused any of the shrimpkeeper tank journals here? If not, it seems like it'd really be up your alley. Especially the journals - tons of photos and nerd goodies that I really enjoy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. Not related to size.

Some Tiger strains can on occasion be larger than Neocaridina shrimp, however.

Have you done much reading here on the forum about shrimp or perused any of the shrimpkeeper tank journals here? If not, it seems like it'd really be up your alley. Especially the journals - tons of photos and nerd goodies that I really enjoy.
I have been combing the internet including these forums, lol. there is not much info on the orange eye blue or black kin kong other than for sale sites. I've also come across a few listings for shrimp being sold as orange eye black king kong extremes but the entire description is about pandas, terribly un-useful
I have alot of random questions popping up because I just bought these 2 months ago, i just posted one earlier about crossing lines. I think its because I pick the most rare thing I can find and so its not really popular online. I was unaware about journals on here though. I'll look that up this afternoon

·
Super Moderator
16,109 Posts
there is not much info on the orange eye blue or black kin kong other than for sale sites.
What?

Seriously - use the search function here on the forum. Search names and also abbreviations. Hundreds of non-sales hits pop up when I search. This is a massive repository of information going back more than 20 years. If it exists, you'll likely find it here.

Tank Journals is the 5th sub-forum from the top, so you should be able to find it easily. Definitely spend time scrolling them. Most long-term shrimpers like me have journals spread across years or decades. Probably my favorite section of the forum.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What?

Seriously - use the search function here on the forum. Search names and also abbreviations. Hundreds of non-sales hits pop up when I search. This is a massive repository of information going back more than 20 years. If it exists, you'll likely find it here.

Tank Journals is the 5th sub-forum from the top, so you should be able to find it easily. Definitely spend time scrolling them. Most long-term shrimpers like me have journals spread across years or decades. Probably my favorite section of the forum.
Posted my first Journal entry
Thank you :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts