·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pH 7.6
gh 5
kh 5
TDS 105

The "RO" water that I get is not actually RO, it has gh kh of 5 and tds of 70 and ph 7.6. I only have access to the blue dispensers outside grocery stores, which is supposed to be RO but apparently is not. Do you think OEBTs will be ok in this?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
They won't like the KH. You need to find another source for RO water. KH needs to be at 0-1, GH between 4-6 for ideal params. I started having lots of molting issues just from a KH of 4 and lost several due to failed molts. The pH is fine though 6.8-7.4 is typically seen as ideal, 7.6 ain't gonna kill them;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
pH 7.6
gh 5
kh 5
TDS 105

The "RO" water that I get is not actually RO, it has gh kh of 5 and tds of 70 and ph 7.6. I only have access to the blue dispensers outside grocery stores, which is supposed to be RO but apparently is not. Do you think OEBTs will be ok in this?
Sure the KH is not ideal, and may cause problems with your OEBTs. But what makes me really nervous is what's in that suppposed "RO" water?!?!?!??! Heavy metals? Chlorine? Nitrates? Copper? Who knows, right?

With a TDS of 70, and a GH & KH of 5, that's pretty dang high, which tells me that the water filters and membranes are in serious need of changing out. If that's the case, then how can you trust using that water?

I'd say skip that "filtered" water and go elsewhere. If the TDS isn't under 20, and the GH and KH aren't 0-1, then move on. Seriously, that water is crap.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd just get my own RO/DI system, it makes a lot more sense if you think about it. What you would spend on a home RO/DI system is probably what you will spend on getting a decent size colony of shrimp-not to mention the time you save by not having to drive to get water. By getting a home water system now, you'll save money (possibly dead shrimp) in the long run.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Heck just go to the grocery store and buy RO water (called drinking or purified water generally, it will say on the bottle if it's done with reverse osmosis). It's more expensive than the refill machines but at least you know what you are getting. But you know what's really more expensive? A tank full of dead OEBTs...ask me how I know:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.