The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning to upgrade my aquarium light from the basic hood that came with the aquarium kit to something that is more likely to support plant growth, however I want to keep it low-tech and inexpensive. I currently have low light plants that aren't doing terribly under the current setup, but aren't exactly thriving either.

I am interested in finding out from anyone who happens to know, whether the Odyssea T5HO dual 24 inch setup would fit on a 36 gallon bow front and whether that would be a decent option for a low-light tank. The bulbs are 24 watts/6500K each.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
711 Posts
check out the sticky, "Lighting an aquarium with par instead of watts'". Hoppy has par measurements for the odyssea 36" dual fixture. i have 24" dual fixture on my 20h and it seems to be providing low to low-medium par, so i think it would work with your tank and goals/aims. make sure it'll fit on your tank because it doesn't have extendable legs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been a while since I posted this, and I've since ordered this light. It's a bit small for the 36-gallon bowfront; I had to rest it on some spacers on top of the glass. Sitting on the glass like that, even with the spacers, I think it provides medium to high light. I was not able to get by with just Excel and ferts without some horrible algae, even when I reduced the photoperiod to 6 hours. Additionally, my plants have developed some deficiencies--pinholes, older leaves died, some turned yellow. I have recently placed some window screen under the light and will eventually hang it from the ceiling so I can tweak it until it's perfect.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ive got no algae issues with my odyssea 30 inch .. the brackets fit my 36 gallon bow fine as well .. but im using diy citric acid baking soda co2 using flourish comprehensive and occasionally leaf zone .. only plants i have right now are dhg and a bocopa of some sort bacopa leaves are getting a red hue to them only a week after planting .. seems like a great little fixture but im thinking i want more

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive got no algae issues with my odyssea 30 inch .. the brackets fit my 36 gallon bow fine as well .. but im using diy citric acid baking soda co2 using flourish comprehensive and occasionally leaf zone .. only plants i have right now are dhg and a bocopa of some sort bacopa leaves are getting a red hue to them only a week after planting .. seems like a great little fixture but im thinking i want more
I think the DIY co2 is making the difference there. In my experience, this light is definitely too bright for a low-tech, non-co2 tank. I have had to raise the light about 11 inches above the surface (overall, its approximately 31 inches from the bottom of the tank to the light), add a thick layer of floating water sprite that completely covers the surface, and double the amount of Excel I'm using. My plants are finally looking happy again (or at least happier than they were) and there has been a very noticeable reduction in algae, especially evil BBA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts