The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any first hand experience with the new version of these lights on aquatraders? I know some don't like them but the price is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
stay away. Nothing but problems with them. I bought my first fixture from them and a year later the balast went out. Then I bought a 24 watt fixture that needed to be replaced after a month. Save up and buy a nice fixture, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
High wattage ones I would not touch. PC/MH & combos

but the NO T5 ones are pretty good and work well enough. and are actually built pretty well. nice sturdy aluminum housing. but wouldn't be great for a planted since they are low wattage fixtures.

·
Registered
332 Posts
stay away. Nothing but problems with them. I bought my first fixture from them and a year later the balast went out. Then I bought a 24 watt fixture that needed to be replaced after a month. Save up and buy a nice fixture, you wont regret it.

I read through that thread over on reefcentral and I guess it would depend on what you are looking for among other things.

If you are looking for a high end MH/PC fixture you could buy an Odyssea and replace the ballasts and still be way ahead financially.

I guess the new ones are improved and that's what the poster asked about.

The safety issue is up to each individual to decide.

·
Registered
332 Posts
High wattage ones I would not touch. PC/MH & combos

but the NO T5 ones are pretty good and work well enough. and are actually built pretty well. nice sturdy aluminum housing. but wouldn't be great for a planted since they are low wattage fixtures.
What is your reasoning for not recommending the high wattage units?

I couldn't find the T5's on there site, I'd be interested in these. Do you or have you owned them?

Nothing wrong with low wattage and plants

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
What is your reasoning for not recommending the high wattage units?

I couldn't find the T5's on there site, I'd be interested in these. Do you or have you owned them?

Nothing wrong with low wattage and plants
Well the more power you're pumping the more costly the parts are going to be. lowe power ballasts are generally going to be cheaper to include and since they don't have a great draw they don't nessacarrly have to be the greatest of quality they simply have to adaquate.

Now once you move up and put higher demand on cheap parts you increase the oppertunity for something to fail.

oh yeah and yeah I owned one of the dual 48" NO t5 units. it was a nice little unit but 54w on a 75 gal isn't the best condtition for plant growth. So I ditched it for a 220w PC setup made by Helios.

considering the Coralife NO-T5 fixtures are about the same cost and come with the proper spectrum bulbs for growth It only makes sense to go that route. the Oddy's come with a 10k and an Actintic. So thats another 20bucks for a replacement bulb. And those bulbs are a bitch to find.

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
it was a T5 HO unit.
caught fire on the second day i had it. my guess is faulty wiring.
the unit did look nice brand new though i've gotta say. i just wish it was built better with stricter quality contorl. i did get a full refund so i'm glad about that.

click for pic if interested.
http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n91/AlanBountham/?action=view&current=CIMG1706.jpg
YIKES!! those are some gnarly pics! Glad you were able to catch it. looks like that would have been pretty bad if not.

·
Registered
375 Posts
One of my LFS's has these lights in stock by the Aisle full! The owner of the shop swears their the "best low end lights for the money if they are the new style which is all I carry"

Ive been watching this thread, and reading other threads as well. Scares the hell out of me to think they catch fire so easily.

I was looking at getting the 48" 260watt with moon light model. If I remember correctly, they come with 2 12000k bulbs and 2 "blue bulbs". I think i'm gonna wait to see if someone else will take the plunge on these new ones and write up a review on them.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
lol. Thats funny. one of my LFS's selles these used for 2X what new ones on ebay go for. but he also sells tattoed parrot fish and his tanks are in crap condition. Needless to say I've had no trouble resisting the urge to make purchaces there.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'd steer clear of Odyssea lights for sure.

Although I am very happy with my JBJ retro kit. Ballast is quite large and seems to be of good quality. 2x96w kit for $72 off eBay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
odyssea power compact

i also have a 2 65 watt unit that i purchased from aquatraders. after 12to 14 months the ballast burnt out when i emailed aquatraders they werent very helpful and only answered one email and that was to say i could purchase a new ballast, but never emailed me back with the specifics. when i called to leave a message my calls were never returned.

does anyone know what i can wire up to this to get it to work again.
any help would be appreciated thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.