The Planted Tank Forum banner

Has the CFS 500 been made reliable and do you love it?

• YES! It is extremely awesome and I would give an unneeded spleen for another one.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • NO! It is without a doubt designed purely by the Chinese to enrage us and drive us mental!

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So. Yes I know there is a very old thread on here regarding this product but I was wondering has anyone purchased this filter SINCE all the upgrades or downgrades (power cord entrance point) and have the redesigned lid and hoses etc solved all of the breakage and leakage early models exhibited? :nerd:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I looked at them and considered one but changed my mind after reading the reviews.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at them and considered one but changed my mind after reading the reviews.
They claim to have resolved all ills with the V2. I am just shocked no-one on here has tried one. Also I am a bit gun-shy to try one without anyone else having used one. Secondly I wonder if its too much flow for a 55.
I don't want to blast my yet barely established plants all across creation.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think the reviews are probably making folks nervous about trying them. May take a bit for people to trust them again.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think the reviews are probably making folks nervous about trying them. May take a bit for people to trust them again.
Well its been 6 years plus since it was introduced and subsequently updated.
I am tempted.....if anyone has one please speak up.
It looks like about 4x the filtering power of my Sunsun 302 which was fine but now is overmatched by the bioload in my community 55.
Also others using this type of canister filter say they only have to clean once every 3-4 months.
I'm cleaning the Sunsuns about 1x a month now.
Too much labor wife is getting irritated that the maintenance never stops lol.
If it isn't water changes its filter maintenance.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I actually looked at the Sun Sun and Odyssea and for a few dollars more with free shipping I decided the Marineland was the way to go. What size tank are you putting this on?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually looked at the Sun Sun and Odyssea and for a few dollars more with free shipping I decided the Marineland was the way to go. What size tank are you putting this on?
But that's just a slightly upmarket sunsun literally!:surprise:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The marineland has 4 stages and I may be wrong but from what I read the sunsun has three.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Got it a few years back, I think I have the V2.

Final opinion: Strong, quiet filter with long maintenance intervals. I love it. Originally the covers were crap, but they fixed them.

It's still a bit of a challenge to get them to stop leaking after taking them apart. You don't want to tighten the screws too much, and you want to do it very evenly. When it runs, the cover is sucked against the canister, so it is tight. When the power goes out, or you disconnect the filter, there may be a bit of leakage. I have mine in a plastic bowl to catch any drips drops.

Now don't get me wrong, it won't drain your tank in a few hours, but there may be some dripping, perhaps depending on how tall the tank and the stand is, with the resulting head pressure. Just something to watch out for.

Back then they went for only $40, the bang-for-the-buck was amazing. Even $58 is a good price for what you get though.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The marineland has 4 stages and I may be wrong but from what I read the sunsun has three.
Marineland comes in 3 sizes 2, 3 and 4 basket and sunsun I believe is only 3 yes you are correct on that.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Final opinion: Strong, quiet filter with long maintenance intervals. I love it. Originally the covers were crap, but they fixed them.

It's still a bit of a challenge to get them to stop leaking after taking them apart. You don't want to tighten the screws too much, and you want to do it very evenly. When it runs, the cover is sucked against the canister, so it is tight. When the power goes out, or you disconnect the filter, there may be a bit of leakage. I have mine in a plastic bowl to catch any drips drops.

Now don't get me wrong, it won't drain your tank in a few hours, but there may be some dripping, perhaps depending on how tall the tank and the stand is, with the resulting head pressure. Just something to watch out for.

Back then they went for only $40, the bang-for-the-buck was amazing. Even $58 is a good price for what you get though.
Thanks for the information I would guess the design improvements are worth the additional cost!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Found it online on sale for 52.99 but they haven't answered yet if its v2. I don't want the weak lid model.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I blame you. I have somehow been influenced. Its really the fault of this well spoken clearly Ex-Mil/ or current fellow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN_r9ZaDkcE
I ordered a Sunsun 304B which is like your 4 basket Marineland PLUS 9W UV light Plus bigger impeller greater size for 525GPH for 75 bucks on Amazon.
Now that I think about it your C220 is likely closer in size to my 302s @ 264GPH but with an extra basket my 302s don't have.
I did want to try that CFS 500 but I have been so happy with my Sunsun's reliability and performance over the years I stuck with their (and Marineland's) time proven leak-free design for now. That plus since Sunsun's valve block is interchangeable due to commonality in all their older models I can swap amongst my Sunsun tanks as needed for the UV just by disconnecting the valve block. (Theory if the valve block is plus sized as well I screwed the pooch)
I am sure I will try the CFS700 or 500 eventually but today is not that day!:nerd:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Let us know what you think of it. I set my c-220 up last night and I dont know if it is my media configuration or what, and it could well be as I didn't use their instructions and installed what I wanted, but I really expected a little more flow out of it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let us know what you think of it. I set my c-220 up last night and I dont know if it is my media configuration or what, and it could well be as I didn't use their instructions and installed what I wanted, but I really expected a little more flow out of it.
No, you probably did fine. I felt the same way at first about my 302's flow seemed as bit weak but over time and filter cleanings I found though it was less than I expected it was removing plenty of gunk from the water so it was sufficient.
In time I just adjusted my expectations on water output pressure.
I eventually purchased 2 more 302s and now the big brother 304B.
I believe as do others that manufacturer ratings are usually double true loaded with media outputs. IE my Sunsun 302 is rated around the same as your Marineland @264 and I would say it probably puts out 132GPH or so in real life operation.
This would explain your feeling that its a bit underpowered.
Manufacturer probably tests with brand new filter pads and no media.
We in real life have used but rinsed filter pads and loads of various media in the trays so our flow rate doesn't match up.
I believe my wattage on the motors for the 302 is around 18W which isn't a massive motor and I would bet yours is near to that.
I think you wont be disappointed in the performance of your Marineland just have to not expect fire dept hose pressures lol.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.