The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,
Im looking for a lighting solution for my 50 cube tank I will be setting up in the near future. A buddy of mine has a 20 inch Odyssey 175 halide with two PC bulbs in the fixture. I am thinking of removing the pcs and going LED. What spectrum LED would you recommend? And what HQI bulb would you recommend? Ive only had experience with LEDs with reefkeeping so Im not totally sure what direction to go. Id like a nice spike in UV wavelength but thats about all I know so far. Any input guys? Thanks in advance.

Hmmm... Im really not finding much for bulbs in this wattage.... Does anyone have any input? I could go another route, but I could get this light for free. lol If anyone has another budget oriented light solution that would be sweet. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Sorry. One can't beat free. Lol
Any "retail" led w / UV (purple is a tad more correct for 400 or greater NM)
Will be costly. Radion fw xr15 or Halo as 2cube type lights. Or even Orphek.
Gutting the PC wings and adding side LEDs would really be more of a diy.
Keep in mind that the initial design is fairly overkill on a fw tank.

What base does the MH use?
A second thought (not a MH user myself) would be just use a 4000k-ish MH W/ cooler PC's (say 6500k-ish) .
Unless you go "fancy" (controllable ramp up/ ramp down) led and good emitters you aren't saving much swapping out the PC's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry if I wasnt clear. I intend on retrofitting LEDs into the fixture in place of the PCs like you mentioned. And yeah really cannot beat free so thats why Id like to use it. lol Probably just a small LED tube with around 400 nm on one side and maybe a 5500-8000 on the other side? Im really just thinking outloud here and I absolutely hate paying for bulbs. Hence why I want to ditch the PCs. I can get bulbs for pretty cheap. I believe this is a double ended bulb fixture but Im trying to figure it out now. I dont have it yet, a buddy said I could take it off his hands when I had a chance. also, where are you from in Wisconsin? Im 15 minutes out of MKE.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.