The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some fish ideas for a 30x18 footprint 56g tank. I'd really like either a shoal of something shiny/irridescent, or 1-2 larger "wet pets." Rainbow Cichlids maybe. Here's why - the tank will be mostly viewed from one floor lower, so you can really only see mid to upper level swimmers. I was considering dwarf cichlids, but most stay close to the bottom, and I wouldn't see them.

I'd really like fish that are not typical of planted tanks...no tetras, rasboras, etc. (I am considering some, but I'm looking for ideas outside of those)

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'd really like either a shoal of something shiny/irridescent,
Dwarf Neon Rainbow fish. (Melanotaenia praecox ) fit that bill, although the colours don't usually become intense until the fish are mature.:)

If you do decide you'd like some tetras I think a large school of Gold tetras (Hemmigrammus rodwayi, I think?) would be quite stunning.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Psuedotropheus saulosi! Males are blue and black, and females are yellow, much like the baby. In the FTS, you can see my babies. I had just turned the lights on and only the babies came out right away. All my males died due to a mystry desease :(

Baby v

my tank (all anubias, sorry for all the algae) v

·
Registered
81 Posts
I will second the dwarf neon rainbows - they are gorgeous, and easily visible. Perhaps a variety of rainbows? Add in some turquoise rainbows and a few others?

For dwarf cichlids, my angel rams are all over the tank. Mostly mid to upper level.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I will second the dwarf neon rainbows - they are gorgeous, and easily visible. Perhaps a variety of rainbows? Add in some turquoise rainbows and a few others?

For dwarf cichlids, my angel rams are all over the tank. Mostly mid to upper level.
X3. I love Neon Rainbowfish. I really want to keep them plus their really cool lookin and stay pretty small. I also second the Silver Hatchets idea.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everybody on another thread told me I needed a 36" long or longer tank for dwarf neon rainbows. ????

Here's what I'm thinking now:

3-4 Rainbow Cichlids
1 Pair Pulcher Nigerian Red
8 Harlequin Rasboras (I already have them so I want to try to keep them)
5 Otos

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If you wanted to do a tangnykian tank, that would be Sweet!

Sand for a substrate, not too many rocks, and presto! Greatness!

Get a ton of shells, and have a bed for some shell dwellers. I have neolamp. multifasciatus and love them! Then you could throw a pair of smaller julis in there for some rock dwellers, along with a pair of compressiceps. Then throw in some danios or something for the middle upper range of the tank.

You can keep precox rainbows in the tank with the shellies and the julis. I have some precox in my 20 long with my multis, and they don't bother them.

Just be careful with plants. Really, only things that you can tie to rocks would be suitable. The fish would uproot any others as they move the sand all over the tank.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, I don't want to do that. I want a normal, heavily planted tank. I'm okay with a sand foreground or something, but I'm not limiting my plants to being tied to rocks. For now. lol

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
lol

Then I would skip on any type of African Cichlid, except of course for the riverine species such as kribs.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, there ARE cichlids that will work, and I would like to find them. I know the rainbow will. I know the kribs will. Any others, besides apistos and rams?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts