The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good eveving! I have a quick question that I hope somebody can help answer. I have a 10 gallon, heavily planted, red cherry shrimp only tank. I have had the shrimp for 8 months with no problems. Tonight, before turning in for the night, I checked the tank. Usually the shrimp are all over the place but tonight they are all bunched together in two different spots. One pile is on the intake sponge and the others are massed into the java moss. This is weird! They are just hanging out! I have never witnessed this behavior and I am sorta worried. Any clues?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bad news! There is something terribly wrong. I have notice a few shrimp in distress. I have plucked a few of them that are dying. None are dead yet. I just did a 40% water change. Here is my tank stats:

Setup: 10 gallon FW shrimp tank ( red cherries and green shrimp + 1 oto and a fair amount of pond snails) which has been up and running for 10 months. No algae problems and excellent water parameters.

Filtration: HOB Aquaclear with sponge filter over intake.

Substrate: Eco complete with small amount of gravel on top.

Lights: 2x15 watt compact fluourescent lights x 9 hours per day

temp: 76 degrees

Ferts: all Seachem Flourish products; excel, flourish, potassium, nirtogen, iron x 3 days per week and every water change (10 days or so).

Plants: Java moss, X-mas moss, Peacock moss, Java fern, Anubias (Nana and Coffeefolia), red and green Wendtii, dward sags, and moss balls, Windelov fern and anacharis

I did dose my ferts today but I always, always dose the same amounts and on the same days. Maybe the ferst are finally affected them. Damn. Live and learn, I guess.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I do use Prime. In the past, I used Marineland products but the smell always made my wife sick. I have been happy with Prime. I hope these little guys make it through the night. I am glad I checked the tank tonight.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Whatever is making them sick is in the tank, so try a WC and see how they respond. Other than that, if you don't see hydra, parasites, worms, etc... in the tank, there's no way to tell what else is wrong.

What are your water parameters right now?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ammonia and Nitrite= 0ppm
Nitrate= 30 ppm
Ph= 7.4

Those ae the only test kits I have and I have a feeling it was the ferts. I came home from lunch and everything was fine. I dosed before going back to work and now some of the shrimp are dying. Its kinda strange because other shrimp are still grazing like normal.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Yea, I have some shrimp that act weird sometimes too. I don't dose.

Sometimes I come back to one or two dead shrimp (maybe once a month?) and sometimes the shrimp are on their sides and can't get back up...it's really weird.

Stop dosing for a few days and see what's up. It's weird though, since you've been dosing for a while and they've been fine so far...

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I have a 5.5 gallon w/ sponge filter.

I've had mishaps with shrimp before, so I feel your worry when something happens. I had the pre-filter sponge fall off an internal powerhead once. I came back to 15 minced RCS. :( Sad day.

And then one time, about half a dozen died. Two each day for three days. Then it stopped. So weird!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, there was small amountof die-off this morning. My 10 gallon has about 80+ shrimp and I found half dozen dead. I did another water change, about 30% and picked out the dead ones. The majority of deaths have been either small juveniles or infants. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ammonia and Nitrite= 0ppm
Nitrate= 30 ppm
Ph= 7.4

Those ae the only test kits I have and I have a feeling it was the ferts. I came home from lunch and everything was fine. I dosed before going back to work and now some of the shrimp are dying. Its kinda strange because other shrimp are still grazing like normal.
I would recommend bringing the nitrate down to 0.

Also, you are dosing a ton of ferts for a 10 gallon. Flourish has copper in it. How much of each fert are you dosing, and how often?

To me it sounds like that water is toxic.

-Ryan

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I'll cut back on the ferts and probably eliminate the Seachem Nitrogen. I was dosing with the nitrogen because the plants were having problems in the begining. I am doing the recommend dosage listed on each bottle of Seachem product x 3 days per week. I guess its time to do a major cutback on ferts. I agree that the water is toxic and I will surely will change my thinking.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I woke up to two dead shrimp. They got really crazy yesterday, swimming everywhere. See? Weird. I did a 30% WC this morning and they seem OK now.

There is a way to get a nice planted tank and a shrimp tank. What I've found out was that shrimp breed much more quickly when there aren't a lot of other plants growing in the tank. I might be biased or whatever, but I got my shrimp in October 2006. I had about 35 of them. From October 2006 to January 2007, the population went to 70. Then I moved tanks from a planted tank to a low-light/low-tech tank w/ just java moss and najas grass. Now, I have 200+ shrimp including tiny babies...but that's a huge increase in just two or three months as opposed to before.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Maybe there's a weird genetic population crash that happens when there are too many shrimps in one tank. You see it a lot in wild animal population... Or even will live cultures like white worms or microworms.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fortunately breeding has never been a problem. I bought 1 dozen shrimp back in July 2006 and have breed at least 300+ shrimp. I had to start selling in order to keep the tank population in check. I always have at least 6 pregnant females in the tank so I hope I have survivors when I get home.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sunday update: Some red cherries are still dying but the rate has slowed. I continue to do daily water changes and I haven't added any ferts. I really don't know what else to do beside the water changes. I have notice one thing that I found extremely odd. The 10 green shirmps tht I had in the tank seemed to suffer no ill effect. I did remove them but they were so hard to catch. Unlike the red cherries, who are so lethargic, the green shrimp were zipping around the tank. I moved them to a 2 gallon that I had already set up for them and some blue shrimp( on order). I also moved some adult red cherries to another tank(non-planted), hoping to save some of them. Well, I have done my best and hope for positive outcome. If things go south quick, I might go back to my original plan, freshwater dwarf puffers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.