The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi All, checked out this video and noticed in the 3:00 mark, Cory of Aquarium Co Op mentioned Justin of Ocean Aquarium puts in fertilizer in the substrates, I gather, once a year. Does anyone by chance know what fertilizer Justin puts in?

·
Super Moderator
15,782 Posts
Ugh, yet another awful YouTube video promoting no water changes that ultimately leads newcomers to disaster. Just what the hobby needs.

But to answer your question? Use whatever root tabs work for your particular setup. That may be cheap API tabs or even Osmocote capsules. Or it may be something like I use - iron-rich red clay mixed up with my own dry ferts. In some of my tanks, root tabs don't help at all - like in moss/epiphyte-only tanks.

Brands may vary but the nutrients available in the hobby are the same. So try a few different methods to see what works best for you. Or if you really want to know specifics, reach out to the shop he's visiting to ask them. My guess it's whatever they can get their hands on and I'd bet they don't know specifically what their root tabs contain.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
I've been to that store. It's very old school. The people there were nice. The key to their success stems partly from the very low light they use and easy plants they grow. Not sure what root tabs they use though. I think it's something cheap and easy like API tabs or job sticks which have been around for a very long time. I think that water changes are good for your fish and your plants so I would do them regardless. They never hurt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input everyone! Perhaps go for ozmocote plus and I'll look up reviews unless anyone wants to comment here. However, always wondered where sulfate ends up...? A fertilizer like kno3 has plants able to take up the N and K. On the other hand something like Sodium Bicarbonate has to have the Na removed via water change. Dunno if should start another thread.

Been keeping plants for awhile but new to the forum. As an inside joke I'll throw out the term "ahsupply" and for the record, I do water changes to give fish a fresh breath of air...err water and encourage new tanks to keep to such regimen.

Also subscribe that a tank is always cycling, even after it's initial cycle, to find balance, ie heat wave causing floating plants to die off and nitrogen uptake is compromised, adding more fish, changing food, or city water changing its source.

Just like the diy Gatorade CO2 reactor bottle and apple computer turned aquarium Ocean Aquarium is. Such a different approach and willing to look into it.

Main take away is that simple plants are still beautiful and it's okay to have quirky projects. Will put the show room "Instagram/reddit" tank project on hold for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts