The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was getting ready to buy an extra filter for my 17 gallon tank; debated between the Tidal and an Oase FiltoSmart. I read the reviews on the Oase however and they said that it was a pain to maintain. "You have to remove the entire unit along with all of the tubing because there is just no easy way of disconnecting the tubes. And even if you do disconnect them, there are no shut off valves, so water will come pouring out like a siphon. The tubing is stiff and too short, which makes affixing the inflow and outflow pipes within the tank more difficult than it should be. The filtration stages are in the wrong order--instead of flowing through the bio media last, water flows through it first and then through the mechanical media-"

Has anyone had these issues? For anyone who is using it, would adding a quick release valve help?

I am not sure I have room behind my tank for the Tidal; anyone using the 35 or 75 who can measure for me?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would suggest the Tidal 55 for that tank. I use a Tidal 75 (75g tank) and a Tidal 55 on my 10 gallon tank. Flow turned way down. I have modified the pull out baskets by drilling more holes in the bottom to allow more mater flow. Only use Poret foam in them. Bottom half 10ppi, top half 20ppi. Quick rinse every 4-6 months or so since they don't clog quickly. So easy to clean with the pull out baskets. Oh, Tidal 55 needs only 4 inches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Tidal 35 on my 16 gallon Waterbox and it was not enough flow for my planted tank. Great for fish that like no flow though. Not great so great for a planted tank. It is a great HOB filter and super quiet and self priming. The footprint is not that bad and you can use any media you want. I would suggest the larger Tidal. The flow adjuster is great if you do decide to get the larger version. I changed my Tidal 35 out for Eheim 2215. Just set it up today.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Tidal 35 on my 16 gallon Waterbox and it was not enough flow for my planted tank. Great for fish that like no flow though. Not great so great for a planted tank. It is a great HOB filter and super quiet and self priming. The footprint is not that bad and you can use any media you want. I would suggest the larger Tidal. The flow adjuster is great if you do decide to get the larger version. I changed my Tidal 35 out for Eheim 2215. Just set it up today.
Why did you choose the Eheim? I already have a Delta UNS 60 canister on the tank along with an Fluval HOB (I like all the filter I can get). So I wanted a better HOB in addition to my canister. I tried adding a Fluval 207 but just cannot get the tubing to work in my close quarters. So I need a HOB or another Delta to sit on my desk.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I had 3 Tidals - 2 on my 30 gallons and 1 on a 10 gallon. They constantly clogged around skimmer and lost flow. Snails got caught in the inner casing and pinged around to drive me crazy.
I am meticulous abut maintenance of filters because I keep rare, expensive fish-- so it wasnt an issue from lack of husbandry.
These filters all went into the garbage.
If I were to get an HOB now I would get Aquaclears.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had 3 Tidals - 2 on my 30 gallons and 1 on a 10 gallon. They constantly clogged around skimmer and lost flow. Snails got caught in the inner casing and pinged around to drive me crazy.
I am meticulous abut maintenance of filters because I keep rare, expensive fish-- so it wasnt an issue from lack of husbandry.
These filters all went into the garbage.
If I were to get an HOB now I would get Aquaclears.
Easily fixed with what everyone does is just place a small mesh screen around the skimmer. Just cut in to size and slide it between the left and fight slots to block everything but the water.

Leaf Dishware Cutlery Kitchen utensil Fork

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
595 Posts
I currently use the Oase Filtosmart 100 on my 16g. The tubing is indeed stiff, but not anymore than the Marineland I have upstairs. I also does not have shut off valves which is a pain in the ass. I have to drain the tank and then lift the pipes out of the tank and place them in a bucket to drain them. Then take the whole works apart to clean it. There are no media trays either. A prefilter sponge on my inlet pipe does help cut down on cleaning a bit.

The benefits are it being super quiet and the internal heater.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.