The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm am using the OASE Biomaster 600 with 5 trays for filter media. I did some research online and decided to use 2 trays filled with Seachem Matrix, 1 tray filled with Seachem Purigen, 1 tray of filter wool and the remaining 2 trays i use the orange and blue sponge filter that came with the filter. I am wondering since the water comes from the bottom tray up to the top (correct me if i am wrong) should the filter wool be at the bottom, followed by 2 trays of sponges, then Matrix and the top Purigen. Or should i do the opposite way. Im lost on the correct way/direction to place my filter media. Help pls

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Sooo usually you want the finest material at the end so the water travels through all the coarse media first before getting to the fine stuff. BUT filter wool is intended to be highly disposable and thus a lot of people put it in front to collect as much debris as possible and then take it out and replace it.

In my opinion filter wool/floss does not belong in a canister filter at all unless as a temporary measure if there is some kind of major debris issue in the tank.

The truth is you won't be opening that canister very often (especially the oase 600 which has a removable prefilter). And if you use filter wool you will need to be opening it up and removing the wool at least once a month and maybe more often or risk cutting the flow by a pretty significant amount.

Anyway my advice is to ditch the wool, use the included foam/sponge instead. Personally I don't run my tanks with purigen or carbon but there is an argument that at least at startup it is helpful to have that extra filtration power. Certainly long term you might want to consider ditching the purigen as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with minorhero on this one. Opinions vary. I don't have that filter but pretty much don't use carbon at all and use a couple different coursnesses (not a word, I know) of sponges. This makes it very serviceable and IMOHO better that the original Marineland carbon in filter floss setup. And mind you I worked for Marineland for 3 years. Not knocking it but just not the optimal setup in an established tank to me.

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
595 Posts
I normally run my sponges first course to fine and then media. I also tend toward less filtration and more media - I'll take out the charcoal and add more media. I stopped using purigen completely. If I were to need charcoal and/or purigen it would go last.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have a 600 on my relatively new 75g tank. I have optional 45ppi fine foam for the prefilter and clean it weekly by swapping for a second set. 45ppi is finer than what comes with the filter.
At the bottom I have Seachem matrix on two trays followed by an included blue sponge. Next is carbon and a bag of Purigen. Last is the included orange sponge.
Water is very clear and algae growth is nil. I put in the carbon and Purigen because when the tank was first set up something was leaching into the water and I was losing the first few shrimp.
All is well now and the shrimp are multiplying.

When you clean your prefilter be sure to check for shrimp as they do find their way there!

Enjoy the Oase. It is a great filter.

·
Registered
741 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.