The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a used & abused 40gl acrylic Aquarium. I have the same one new still in the wrapper. I want a rimless tank. So, I'm looking at Mr. Jig saw and Mr. Drill thinking to myself, "Self, let's just see what happens".

I tape off a 2 1/2" euro-brace on the top, an open it up. I take it outside for a test fill and 30sec after I top it off I'm watching it morph into a bowfront like some kind of Aquarium Transformer. :icon_eek::confused1::icon_eek:

So, that idea won't be fuctional for the new tank. :biggrin:

I now has a huge emersed tank :icon_roll

O.K. who's next, tell us about your bright idea that was an epic fail

·
Registered
225 Posts
My dad and I built his massive acrylic tank twice. It's a 800 g built in his wall. The first build was a most epic fail. Have you ever tried to suck 800 g of water out of carpet? Not fun. I have never seen 3/4 inch acrylic split before. Apparently there was an air bubble in the acrylic. The company that sold it to us replaced it for free (and the carpet).

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a used & abused 40gl acrylic Aquarium. I have the same one new still in the wrapper. I want a rimless tank. So, I'm looking at Mr. Jig saw and Mr. Drill thinking to myself, "Self, let's just see what happens".

I tape off a 2 1/2" euro-brace on the top, an open it up. I take it outside for a test fill and 30sec after I top it off I'm watching it morph into a bowfront like some kind of Aquarium Transformer. :icon_eek::confused1::icon_eek:

So, that idea won't be fuctional for the new tank. :biggrin:

I now has a huge emersed tank :icon_roll

O.K. who's next, tell us about your bright idea that was an epic fail

Pics or it didnt happen :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I've owned several SeaClears including a 55gl Hex. Not a single problem. But, I admit their engineers know just a more than I do about bracing....Well until today.:hihi:
This is true unless you grow alot of coralline algae or GSA like I do :hihi: then its a PITA :)

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
A short time ago there was a thread about removing the full plastic upper frame, sanding the glass edge smooth and placing glass triangle corner braces using tank sealant.

I don't recall seeing a follow up after testing though.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
maybe manufactured for NASA use at the production site deep within Area 51

actually posted as a serious question because IDK and never heard that before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.