The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that Java Fern can be grown Emersed. So I tried this by putting them into my tray and having the leaves come out of the water. It looks like their are drying up fast!

Is this normal ??

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
They grow amazing emersed, but the leaves need humidity. Make sure you have a cover on the tray to keep humidity up. If the leaves are completely shriveled, but the rhizome has remained wet, just trim off the leaves and put the rhizome in your aquarium and it will grow back.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well darn now I gotta find something that can be emerse with a open top. It was looking pretty cool too haha

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
I believe polygonum can grow out of the water with an open top. :S

But yeah, java fern/anubias need crrraaazzzyy ammounts of humidity.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Bacopa species also grow well emersed without added humidity.
X2 and flower like crazy. The type I have produces blue / purple flowers non stop. The plant now drapes the whole top of the tank coming through the egg crate at the back of the tank.

·
Registered
130 Posts
X2 and flower like crazy. The type I have produces blue / purple flowers non stop. The plant now drapes the whole top of the tank coming through the egg crate at the back of the tank.
so did you plant it in the tank & just never trim, or did you plant it outside the tank and the vines/branches hang down? can a plant have both emersed and submersed parts & still be healthy?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
so did you plant it in the tank & just never trim, or did you plant it outside the tank and the vines/branches hang down? can a plant have both emersed and submersed parts & still be healthy?
Grew them out of the substrate and I didn't trim the plants at the back. submerged stems still have some leaves but are covered with trailing roots as well. I keep the ones in front trimmed so they stay bushy hiding the emerged stems and roots.

·
Registered
130 Posts
so a plant can be both emersed and submerged at the same time. That's awesome! Are the emersed branches still stronger and stiffer than the submerged ones, or are they weak because their base with all the roots are still under water?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts