The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd pass along an article from the New York Times about shrimp that leave their stream to walk on land. Thousands of tourists flock to their region of Thailand to watch.

Here's a direct link and an excerpt:

The shrimp stop swimming at dusk and gather near the river’s edge. After sunset, they begin to climb out of the water. Then they march. All night long, the inch-long crustaceans parade along the rocks.

The parading shrimp of northeastern Thailand have inspired legends, dances and even a statue. (Locals also eat them.) During the rainy season, between late August and early October, tourists crowd the riverbanks with flashlights to watch the shrimp walk.

Watcharapong Hongjamrassilp first learned about the parading shrimp, and the hundred thousand or more tourists who come each year to see them, about 20 years ago. When he started studying biology, he returned to the topic. “I realized that we know nothing about this,” he said: What species are they? Why and how do they leave the safety of the water to walk upstream on dry land? Where are they going?
Anyone with even a bit of shrimp experience will probably appreciate the article.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
That is awesome. Is it bad that I kind of want some? lol

Also, my stupid amano shrimp do that sometimes during water changes. I let the back walls of tanks grow algae freely for grazers, and when the water level is low, sometimes the amanos will climb up the wall out of the water. Very strange little creatures.

·
Super Moderator
17,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amano shenanigans immediately came to mind for me, as well.

I'm not sure I know anyone who has kept them and *not* had them go on the occasional exploration outside their tank.

Have a tank right now with some Amanos in it that I did not introduce to the tank. They made their own way over from another setup. Have read about it happening from too many others here for it to be a rare occurrence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.