The Planted Tank Forum banner

NYC Tap Water Question/CRS

6855 9
Newbie here, I wanted to ask, if it's ok just to prepare tap water with dechlorinators for CRS - tank WC's. I don't have access to RO water nor the budget and am trying to see if I can start a CRS tank. I've read from several articles that said tap water just needed dechlorinators. I'm not sure but NYC tap water shows about 1.3 mg/L and on another site they it's explained that an experiment showed anything more than 100 ug/L is lethal to shrimp. Anyone with experience can give insight? I don't want to start something that I can't afford/handle. Also is there a better alternative to the low budget API tests for pH, N-cycle, GH, KH? Thanks'
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Invest in a TDS meter, the API Master Test Kit, and a GH/KH test kit. NYC tap also uses chlorine so use an appropriate dechlorinator. You can read the NYC water report for more info. Anyways, straight out of the tap, I get pH -7.2, dGH - 2, dKH - 2, TDS - 50-60ppm. It varies in the 5 boroughs though, depending on your location but the water is usually soft in most places.

·
Banned
235 Posts
My advice is if you can't afford to do it correctly and invest some cash into the project then don't waste your time and money. Get cheaper easy to care for shrimp like rcs save some cash and in the future set up an appropriate tank after you have all the necessary supplies and resources to do so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My advice is if you can't afford to do it correctly and invest some cash into the project then don't waste your time and money. Get cheaper easy to care for shrimp like rcs save some cash and in the future set up an appropriate tank after you have all the necessary supplies and resources to do so.
I already have rcs. I want to see if I can move up.

·
Registered
821 Posts
NYC tap water is perfect, believe it or not. I've never used RO with this city's water. The pH out of the tap is about 6.8 which is perfect for shrimps. I only thing I ever use is some dechlorinator and I'm wondering if that is even necessary since I test the tap water and it had zero chlorine (live in lower manhattan, not sure if that makes a difference). My shrimps (both RCS & CRS/CBS) are both breeding w/o any problems.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
NYC tap water is perfect, believe it or not. I've never used RO with this city's water. The pH out of the tap is about 6.8 which is perfect for shrimps. I only thing I ever use is some dechlorinator and I'm wondering if that is even necessary since I test the tap water and it had zero chlorine (live in lower manhattan, not sure if that makes a difference). My shrimps (both RCS & CRS/CBS) are both breeding w/o any problems.
+1 the same except the part about living in lower manhattan ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.