The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by Win's after leaving Pacific Aquarium today...Went to pick up a few Red Cherry's...

Only had $7 bucks on me, and they don't take plastic....

I got 4 cherries AND a very healthy looking 1-2 cups of Riccia!!!:hihi:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i'm sure you could...very friendly folks there...the epitome of mom & pop...the riccia i got there was pearling in my tank within a few hours...

also Pacific Aquarium has those "enclosed" tanks...i forgot the name of them...but they're really nice looking...about 6 g....$150....

·
Registered
484 Posts
Oh. I'm pretty sure the closed place I went to was Win's since it was on Mott. I could not find Tropical on Elizabeth. I hit up 38 Aquarium, 123 Aquarium, and Pacific Aquarium while I was in the area. Pacific seems to have the best selection of water plants (that's what I'm in the market for). Any recommendations on where to get plants like rotala indicia/ludwigia's/dwarf hairgrass?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hairgrass i would just say PEtco, they tend to have it pretty often. I only get plants from the swap and shop here, but you can also go up to 38th and 2nd. forget what thats called, but it seemed like some nice plants.

Sorry for being so bad with names. You can also go to Aqua Star which is behind win on Mulberry. I keep missing 123, but I'll have to check that out. Just went to all those same places on Wed.

But in terms of plants, there isnt too much except at maybe Pacific. Win has some stuff, but it varies greatly from my experience.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
OMG. So at Win's, how much do the cherries go for? Are they sold as individuals or are they sold as a little group with a fixed price? I have never been there; the only LFS that I've been to in Manhattan so far has been Pacific and their cherries were SOOO expensive. I mean the ridiculous-off-the-charts kind. It was $10 for THREE cherries.

I wanted to buy 30 cherries at Pacific and the employee told me it was going to be $100! with 3 extra cherries thrown in as a bonus. 33 cherries for a hundred bucks. :help:

Kshoes, Pacific has dwarf hairgrass from time to time. I bought mine there. Just ask them when their new plant shipment is coming and inquire about the dwarf hairgrass. They have new stuff with every shipment, so it's not the same old stuff every week.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks. I stopped by at Petco and Pacific on Saturday. Picked up some wisteria and some unknowns from Petco. Pacific had more variety; I got some sunset hygro, stargrass, I think a bacopa caroliniana, and baby tears. They didn't have any foreground plants I wanted (dwarf baby tears or dwarf hairgrass).

·
Registered
305 Posts
The red cherry shrimp at win are 1.50 each. They didn't look phenomenal in the tank, but I bought 8, and they've done well and darkened a bunch recently. I get the impression that when things there look healthy at win, they are. But, they're aren't going to get rid of something until it's past it's last leg.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Wow, $1.50 for each doesn't sound so bad when compared to Pacific; its $10 for 3 cherries at Pacific, so it would come out to be like $3 bucks a pop there. I could probably find a better deal online though if it weren't for this collectoritis of mine flaring up again. I think I'm beginning to become infatuated with getting my nets on any cherries...last leg or not.

Luckily my funds are pretty dried up about now. Now I know an empty wallet is the perfect cure for collectoritis. :hihi:

·
Registered
484 Posts
How do you guys compare Win vs. Pacific in terms of pricing, customer service, quality??? They tend to have more variety in plants than petco/petland/petsmart. I'm in the market for one or two more plants to finish my new planted tank. I will start stocking my tank soon as well so I'd like to know which one is superior quality-wise.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.