The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has tried this. My DIY is okay, but my fiancé worries about it leaking. I probably wont go out and buy the little refil packs, as i have a TON of yeast and sugat at home. how effective is this system? Any suggestions for better ones? I'm really tight on cash, so cheaper options would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
that may be ok for something like a 10 gal but like sugardaddy pointed out the canister is rather small, and they are no more leak proof than a sode bottle. in this case imo diy is actually better than store bought. if you setup your diy co2 properly you should never have a leak. (check valves, and seal the top real good where the air hose goes into the soda cap, and put it in something so it does not fall over)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have this for a 10g and it's working beautifully. Make my own mix too. Couldnt be bothered to buy the little packets every time I ran out

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, all. Does any one have suggestions for a really good DIY?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i liked to use 1 gal juice containers with handels on them for ease of transport and there harder to nock over than soda bottles.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went ahead and bought this and i was suprised to find that the diffuser thing wasnt enclosed, it was just an open slotted thing. We'll see how this works!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I really like the bubble ladder that comes with it. You can see the CO2 diffuse into the water as it 'climbs' the ladder.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The diffuser doesnt work for me, the bubbles go to the top then slip off and to the surface. I led the tube into the intake of the filter, as that worked really well for me last time

·
Registered
12 Posts
k3xx, what you described is the diffused working as intended... the bubbles should be a little smaller by the time they get to the top, indicating that some of the CO2 dissolves into the water along the way.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you say yours did not come with the ladder?
no, it did come with one, it just doesnt work without signifigant waste. When ive watched it, i have not seen the bubbles getting at all smaller, as seen by CPD. I just may be incredibly impatient, but as ive seen, there's little visible waste from my filter

·
Registered
181 Posts
no, it did come with one, it just doesnt work without signifigant waste. When ive watched it, i have not seen the bubbles getting at all smaller, as seen by CPD. I just may be incredibly impatient, but as ive seen, there's little visible waste from my filter
Both of my Nutrafin Plant Systems came with the ladder. Strange that it didn't.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
a little, but the bubbles are really tiny, so there isnt a worry of it airlocking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts