The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of popular consensus that my Coralife T5 HO with 2x54 watts is too high for the low-tech approach I initially wanted for my 55 gallon soon to be planted tank, I am considering CO2 even though i wanted to stay away due to the fact i know nothing about it. I saw the NutraFin CO2 Natural Plant System at Petco. Does anyone have experience with this? Do you think it will suffice at all or is it a total waste? Thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
the nutrafin co2 system is essentially the same thing as what we like to call diy co2 around here. There is no need to purchase that system. In fact the diy route will give better results but it will still be insufficient for a 55 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If you want to do low tech, just lower your lighting. Raise your lights up, or put a layer or two of fiberglass window screen over them.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was scared it wasn't going to be sufficient for a 55, Sharkfood i like the idea of the window screen. And other people have suggested raising the lights, but i don't fully understand how i would go about doing that. The fixture has legs which grip onto the side of the tank. Also, the light came with a 10000k and actinic bulb, realizing the actinic is worthless for plants....could keeping that in there help lower my lighting??

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
... And other people have suggested raising the lights, but i don't fully understand how i would go about doing that. The fixture has legs which grip onto the side of the tank. ...
To easily control the height of your lights, the best way is to suspend the lighting fixture using cables or chains. Some of the online vendors sell them for mounting their own lighting, but it's easy enough to get the things you need from Home Depot.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I actually bought the refill packets at Petco for that system as they were on sale from a normal $9.99 for .70 cents. Word on the street is though that a natural solution works better.

You could do a DIY with 2x Pop Bottles, or purchase 2 of those canisters for your take, but single would be too little.

I am amazingly surprised at how easy the DIY CO2 is - Trust me, anytime I see DIY I cringe because I am not handy - but this is easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts