The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Whenever I put slightly more yeast (1/2 instead of 1/4 tsp) in mixture for Nutrafin CO2 kit, I observe a white slime on my diffuser ladder.
I always ensure that the water level in the fermentation container is below the marking, but still something seems to be getting added to tank.
I also wonder why Nutrafin did not provide anything to address this; something similar to a second bottle in a typical DIY CO2.

Anybody who has faced a similar issue?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
My money is on some yeast got through also. It makes a snotty mess.
Add a bottle with clean water for your yeast bottle to bubble through, capturing the filtered gas output from their for your ladder.
In the mean time, just give the ladder a rinse under the tap.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Having the exact same problem. But I have two bottles hooked up though a t valve. Makes it even worse. Both bottles are 1/2tsp. I have to clean it twice a week. The attachment didn't work, what bubble counter are you getting?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I had the same issue, I just made a small DIY bubble counter before the ladder. All the slime collected in there.
I also went to pressurized c02 and regretted ever even bothering with DIY c02. I could never keep it consitant enough and always had algae issues due to the fluctuating c02 levels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having the exact same problem. But I have two bottles hooked up though a t valve. Makes it even worse. Both bottles are 1/2tsp. I have to clean it twice a week. The attachment didn't work, what bubble counter are you getting?
The one I mentioned in my post above. I expect it collect the yeast residue and then only clean CO2 will enter my tank.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
It is easy to do. 2 Tubes thrugh a cooldrink bottle cap (can be a small bottle), one tube goes al the way to the bottom of the bottle and the other just goes through the cap a little. Connect side that goes to bottom, to your CO2 bottles, connect other side to your ladder. Fill bottle with water, but not enough to reach the top tube. Now that water will filter out most of the yeast.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is easy to do. 2 Tubes thrugh a cooldrink bottle cap (can be a small bottle), one tube goes al the way to the bottom of the bottle and the other just goes through the cap a little. Connect side that goes to bottom, to your CO2 bottles, connect other side to your ladder. Fill bottle with water, but not enough to reach the top tube. Now that water will filter out most of the yeast.
Hi Nordic, Yup that's what I was planning to do earlier.
But then I thought; a factory manufactured bubble counter would appear better than a cold drink bottle.
Its the same reason why I bought the Nutrafin container, although knowing that same DIY can be done using coke bottles.

Its completely subjective though :smile2:

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The ladders are really useful. You may have noticed it has 3 points where you can let the CO2 in... the smaller tank the higher point you use, so the gas spends less time underwater.
I use this to my advance. As gas production reduces, I use a deeper point to make the gas spend more time underwater. You can't do that with a diy bell.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ladders are really useful. You may have noticed it has 3 points where you can let the CO2 in... the smaller tank the higher point you use, so the gas spends less time underwater.
I use this to my advance. As gas production reduces, I use a deeper point to make the gas spend more time underwater. You can't do that with a diy bell.
I agree, ladder is useful.
By the way I always keep the tubing attached to the deepest point for my 10 gallon.
Its only then when my CO2 indicator turns light green.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You can add more bottles in parallel to increase gas production.
Sugar isn't all that cheap though, rather start saving for a pressurised setup.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My bubble ladder would always get this white film. I don't think it's yeast getting through really but more of a residue or bacterial growth. I found it to be harmless. CAE and sometimes snails would eat it keeping it pretty clean with the exception of the spots they couldn't reach.

Sent from my HTC331ZLVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How is the bubble counter working out? I am getting sick of cleaning my ladder.
Bubble counter is working fine. Has been a a week and I do not see any slime on my ladder.
But the one I bought is very small.
If you are using 2 bottles, I would recommend to get a bigger bubble counter (if available) of make your own using a soda bottle.

Bump:
My bubble ladder would always get this white film. I don't think it's yeast getting through really but more of a residue or bacterial growth. I found it to be harmless. CAE and sometimes snails would eat it keeping it pretty clean with the exception of the spots they couldn't reach.

Sent from my HTC331ZLVW using Tapatalk
Even if it is harmless, the problem is that it starts blocking the bubbles on the ladder. All the blocked bubbles then form one big bubble and just pop out, instead of following the ladder path.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Can you elaborate as to why you feel you need a bigger bubble counter? The fluval one is 4 bucks on amazon now and I was going to pick it up. If the smaller size just means you need to clean it more often I am fine with that. Space is at a premium with my set-up so I need something small.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can you elaborate as to why you feel you need a bigger bubble counter? The fluval one is 4 bucks on amazon now and I was going to pick it up. If the smaller size just means you need to clean it more often I am fine with that. Space is at a premium with my set-up so I need something small.
Yes, you might have to clean it more often. If you can manage with that, Fluval bubble counter seems good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.