The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello awesome people!

I bought some XMas moss at an aquatic store, it was mostly brown with some bright green, it was the last they had but I wanted it quite badly so I took it home and hope to be able to nurse it back to a gorgeous state.

Hope you can give me some guidance.

This is my current setup
  • 7.5 Gal Tank
  • Fugeray Planted Plus light (running 14hrs - 8am : 10pm)
  • Injected CO2 at about 0.5 bubbles per second
  • white sand substrate
  • In the early phases of getting it Cycled (fishless, and just ammonia is pressent)
  • (ordered root tabs for my soon to be planted Baby Tears and Ludwigia)

Thank you in advance, you are always so helpful and knowledgable.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
If you plan no fish cycling is not necessary.
The light is on for way too many hrs. Bt if those hrs are so that you can see it
both wnen you get up and after work, then just set it to turn off in between.
That light is also fairly strong for that tank(depending on height) and the CO2 counts also though at .5 BPS(2-4 is normal) it won't help much to keep out algae. But why now ? The CO2 is only needed to help plants to grow and if there are none...
Lots of people run it at below the normal 2-4 BPS so they don't need to worry about it hurting their fish but once the plants start growing I'd bring it up to at least 1 BPS.
It will help the moss(and still 1 BPS would be better) and the only other thing I can tell you about that moss is that I ave bought Pellia on three ocasions from on-line dealers and it died the first two times because I keep ordering it from one who takes 20 days for it to get to me from them in Malaysia. But this time it looks much better cause I tied
it to a branch limb up close to the light. Before I just put it on the bottom of the tank.
You can always move it after it gets growing well. Putting it up much higher might help it some.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@StrungOut: I have a HOB filter from Fluval, it is the one that came with my previous tank (Fluval Edge) but that I broke on accident.

My current tank is a Mr. Aqua 7.5Gal Bowfront, it is roughly 10"tall, 8"wide, 18"long

@Raymond S.: I'm doing the cycle because I want to give a nice home to a future betta and some shrimp.

I want to have a baby tear carpet, with a nice patch of xmas moss on the background.
I have some ludwigia to have some high plants and then also an anubias where the betta could rest.

I'm honestly a total noob when it it comes to this hobby, but have learned many things from all of you.

I had the Bubble Count at around 3bps, but the ISTA CO2 indicator is telling me too much CO2 is in the water, I then researched and some people were suggesting 2-4 bps for like 50Gal tanks, so I thought, DAMN I need :help:, but in the mean time, let's reduce CO2 a lot.

Thank you both for your quick replies, I'm very grateful! ^_^

·
Registered
233 Posts
You might want to change your betta + shrimp plan. My understanding, from many reports, is that it all depends on the betta. Some will eat shrimps, even if they have hiding spots.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Hello awesome people!

I bought some XMas moss at an aquatic store, it was mostly brown with some bright green, it was the last they had but I wanted it quite badly so I took it home and hope to be able to nurse it back to a gorgeous state.
Bring them closer to light. The brown moss will eventually turn green. It may turn all brown but they will grow back.
A co2 and a good current will help.

You may post a photo so everyone can verify the true moss ID. There had been a lot of confusion on Xmas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts