The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am going to order some Dwarf HG for my 65G tank (36x24x18), 192W, press. co2. I was wondering what be a good number to order so that I will eventually get a nice foregrround cover. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RandyB.

·
Registered
657 Posts
It really depends on the size of your foreground. That said two pots should be more than enough to get you started. Remember to remove the hairgrass from the pot, break up the bunch into strands of three to five blades and plant in a checkerboard fashion. Good luck!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Two pots is about right. The more effort you put into properly breaking it up and spreading it out now, the more success you'll have later. You could be lazy and plant it in clumps but it will take longer to establish and spread.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
If you plant it in clumps, you also run the risk of not enough light getting to every plantlet, resulting in dying leaves and collecting of algae. Trust me, I had that issue with hairgrass in my tank. It started off good, but since I was lazy and didn't split it up, it eventually collected algae (BBA I think it was) and I had to remove most of it. Patience is the key.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh, well since I placed my order a couple of days ago before reading this, I order 6 pots of hairgrass. Ah well, the more the better i suupose. My total plat order is now:

3 Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri) Pot
2 Cryptocoryne blasii
6 Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis) pot
2 Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus)
1 Lutea (Cryptocoryne lutea)(medium size)(pot)
1 Moneywort (Bacopa monnieri) Pot
3 Sword, Red Melon (Echinodorus Barthii v. "red melon")
1 Tiger Lotus, Red (Nymphaea zenkeri)
1 Wendtii, Bronze (Cryptocoryne wendtii v. ‘Tropica’)
2 Wendtii, Green (Cryptocoryne wendtii)
2 Wendtii, Red (Cryptocoryne wendtii)

Any comments/suggestions on this would be great. Thanks for the above info, too bad I didn't wait for the responses.

Thanks again,

Randy B.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think it will be tough to keep one of the swords you ordered in a tank that size much less 6. They just grow so big and take up so much room. The Amazon I have in my 75 gal is growing several inches out of the tank and taking up 1/3 of the tank. Oh and the Lotus gets pretty large also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I may need to rid myself of some once they begin to grow. I figured they would help in filling out the back of my tank but perhaps they willl do too good of a job. I also figured they would help to fill out the top of my tank which is 24" deep. Thanks again for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts